Calculating Energy Released by Sodium Reacting with Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy released by the explosive reaction of sodium in freshwater and seawater. The balanced equation for the reaction is given and the change in enthalpy is calculated to be -368.6 kJ. The calculation for 1 gram of sodium is also provided. The conversation also mentions that the explosion is actually caused by the hydrogen reacting with oxygen, leading to an even higher energy output. The conversation ends with a request for further reading on the topic.
xpell
Hi! After watching a couple videos about the explosive reaction of sodium in freshwater and seawater, I felt curious and wanted to calculate how much energy is released. However, my Chemistry is super rusty and I think that my result is way too high (equivalent to almost 2 g of TNT per gram of sodium!) Would you please confirm or tell me where did I mess it up:?

The balanced equation for the reaction is:
2Na + 2H2O → 2NaOH + H2
Change in enthalpy for the reaction at 20ºC (ΔH20C) is: -368.6 kJ.
So, the energy released in the reaction = 368.6 kJ
Mass of 2Na (2 moles of sodium) = 23 x 2 = 46 grams
Energy released for 46 grams of sodium = 368.6 kJ
Hence, energy released for 1 g of sodium = 368.6/46 = 8,013 J ≈ 8 kJ (!)

PS. If someone is so kind to tell me how to calculate this under different conditions of water pressure / temperature, I'd appreciate it a lot too.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The explosion doesn't come from the sodium reacting with water, but from the hydrogen reacting with the oxygen, so the total output is even higher (but involves process that you haven't listed).

I see nothing wrong with your calculation (I am assuming you got the ΔH from some reasonably reliable source). There are plenty of materials that have higher energy density than TNT, so there is nothing surprising here.

Likes xpell and Bystander
Borek said:
The explosion doesn't come from the sodium reacting with water, but from the hydrogen reacting with the oxygen, so the total output is even higher (but involves process that you haven't listed).
Hey, thank you, I didn't know this! Would you please tell me more or point me to further reading about it?

Just google hydrogen explosion. Produced hydrogen mixes with the air, reaction produces enough heat to ignite the mixture. Kaboom.

1. How does sodium react with water?

Sodium reacts with water by producing hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide. This reaction is highly exothermic, meaning it releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat.

2. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between sodium and water?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: 2Na + 2H2O → 2NaOH + H2

3. How is energy released during this reaction?

Energy is released during this reaction due to the breaking of bonds between sodium and water molecules, and the formation of new bonds between sodium and hydroxide ions. This energy is released in the form of heat.

4. How can the energy released by this reaction be calculated?

The energy released by this reaction can be calculated using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the energy released, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature of the water.

5. What factors can affect the amount of energy released during this reaction?

The amount of energy released during this reaction can be affected by factors such as the amount of sodium and water used, the temperature of the water, and the rate at which the reaction takes place. Additionally, the presence of impurities in the sodium or water can also affect the amount of energy released.