Calculating Energy Required for Phase Change in an Ice Cube

In summary, the student attempted to solve homework that involved converting heat energy from one form to another. The equation they used to calculate the necessary energy was 2.05 J/(gK) *10 K*46g+4.1813 J/(gK) *100K*46g+2.080 J/(gK) *16K*46g + 2260J/g*46g+334J/g*46g. This yielded the total energy needed to convert 146kg of ice from ice at -10 degrees Celsius to steam at 116 degrees Celsius to be 21827.184 J.
free-node-5

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to change a 46.0 g ice cube from ice at -10.0°C to steam at 116°C?

Homework Equations

specific heat
c = Q/(m(Tf-Ti))
Q = cm(Tf-Ti)

latent heat
Q = mL

The Attempt at a Solution

2.05*10*46+4.1813*100*46+2.080*16*46 + 2260*.046+334*.046
= 21827.184J

(please only speak in metrics or you'll lose me)

can anyone help me figure this out?
It's very crucial that I understand this process.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the right technique, you should put some units into make sure that you didn't lose anything.
It's also normal to work in base units eg kg,

heat ice 10deg = 2.05 J/gk *10k *46g = 943 J
melt ice = 333.5 J/g * 46g = 15340J
heat water 100deg = 4.1813 j/gK * 100k*46g = 19300J
boil water = 2260 kJ/kg * 46g = 2260 J/g * 46g =104000J
heat steam 16deg = 2.080 J/gk *16k*46g = 1530J

Total 140K Joules

Last edited:
apparently the table on wikipedia was using kJ/kg which threw me off

2.05 J/(gK) *10 K*46g+4.1813 J/(gK) *100K*46g+2.080 J/(gK) *16K*46g + 2260J/g*46g+334J/g*46g
= 141031.86

I still don't know if this is right though

I also need to know if I was supposed to be adding for the ice to melt of subtracting the latent heat energy (it may be releasing energy when it melts as opposed to absorbing it)

That's why I suggested writing it out as above.
Then it's more obvious if a number is wildly wrong

eg,
warming ice 10 deg small amount of energy
melting ice = a lot of energy (it takes along time for freezer to defrost)
heating water 100deg = a lot of energy (think how long it takes to make a coffee)
boiling water = a lot of energy, that's why steam is so powerful
heating the steam = small energy

The energy flow is all in the same direction (same sign) at each step you are putting energy in

nothing you're saying is incredibly unreasonable... but I never tried to convert kj to j

?

(I did however have numbers from wiki. that said x kJ/kg
which is inherently equal to J/g)

*bows head in shame and bumps thread*

Related to Calculating Energy Required for Phase Change in an Ice Cube

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy moving from one object or substance to another. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy that is required to change the state of a substance without changing its temperature. This energy is used to break or form molecular bonds, and is released or absorbed during phase changes such as melting, freezing, evaporation, or condensation.

How does heat transfer affect everyday life?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. It is responsible for keeping our homes warm, our food cooked, and our bodies at a comfortable temperature. It also drives weather patterns and ocean currents, and is essential for many industrial processes.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects or substances, the distance between them, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area of contact between them.

How is heat transfer quantified?

The amount of heat transferred can be quantified using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The unit for heat transfer is joules (J).