Calculating F2 for Double and Triple Changes in Coulombs Law"

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the magnitude of F2 when the distance between charges is doubled and one charge is doubled while the other is tripled. The solution involves using the equations for Coulomb's Law and making the changes simultaneously, resulting in a new distance of 2r, a new charge for q1 of 3q1, and a new charge for q2 of 2q2. After rearranging and canceling, the final equation for F2 is 6F1/4r1.
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

Look back at the Example in the Using Coulombs Law-Comparative Analysis section. Calculate the magnitude of F2 if both changes occurred simultaneously-that is, if the distance between the charges doubled and the size of once tripled, while the size of the other doubled.

This is the original example:

If the electrostatic force between two charges is 6.0 x 10^-8 N, what effect would each of the following changes have on the magnitude of the force?
1) the distance between the charges is doubled
2)One charge is doubled and the other is tripled

Solution:
1)
F2 = (6.0x10^-8 N)xr1 / (2r1)^2
= (6.0x10^-8 N) / 4
= 1.5 x 10^-8 N

2) q1=2q1
q2=3q1

F1/F2 = q1q2/q1q2

(6.0x10^-8 N)/F2 = q1q2 / (2q1)(3q2)

F2 = (6.0x10^-8N)(6)
= 3.6 x 10^-7 N

This is the solution to the example!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the actually solution to this problem, but my only question is what are the values of q1 and q2 and r? Since they're literally exactly the same in both questions, does it mean that they all just double and triple from the original? Meaning r = 4r1, q1 = 6q1, q2 = 6q2

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand where you get the factors of 4 and 6 from.

Double = multiply by a factor of 2.

Triple = multiply by a factor of 3.

The only difference is that, instead of making each of these changes separately, ALL three changes are now to be made at the same time so that (primed symbols represent the "new" quantities after the changes):

r' = 2r

q1' = 3q1

q2' = 2q2

ohh okay, sorry i thought it mean't something else.

Do i ended up setting F1/F2 = (q1q2/r1^2) / ((3q1)(2q1)/2r1^2)

I rearranged it to be F2 = 6F1/4r1 (after cancellations and rearranging)

Im not sure if i rearranged it correctly...

sorry i forgot to cancel r1, its actually F2 = 6F1/4

Related to Calculating F2 for Double and Triple Changes in Coulombs Law"

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charges, k is a constant value, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

What is the value of the constant k in Coulomb's Law?

The value of the constant k depends on the medium between the two charged particles. In a vacuum, k has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. In other media, such as air or water, the value of k may be different.

How does distance affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged particles increases, the force between them decreases.

How does Coulomb's Law relate to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to electric fields. Electric fields are created by charged particles and can exert a force on other charged particles. The strength of the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the force that would be exerted on a charged particle at that point, as described by Coulomb's Law.