Calculating final velocity after a puck is hit

In summary, Dave one-times the puck with a force of 368N [N30E] and the final velocity is 472.7m/s [south]
kinghunter

Homework Statement

Bob passes a 0.220kg puck with an initial velocity of 12m/s [South] to Dave. Dave one-times the puck with a force of 368N [N30E] if Daves stick is in contact with the puck for 0.250s what is the final velocity?

Homework Equations

i honestly don't know where to start with this one, if you can tell me what i first need to solve for i should be able to go from there

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look in your course notes and/or textbook for "Impulse".

As the question is, it can't be solved, we don't know the initial direction of the puck.

billy_joule said:
Look in your course notes and/or textbook for "Impulse".

As the question is, it can't be solved, we don't know the initial direction of the puck.
sorry the initial directon is south

kinghunter said:

Homework Statement

Bob passes a 0.220kg puck with an initial velocity of 12m/s [South] to Dave. Dave one-times the puck with a force of 368N [N30E] if Daves stick is in contact with the puck for 0.250s what is the final velocity?

Homework Equations

i honestly don't know where to start with this one, if you can tell me what i first need to solve for i should be able to go from there

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello kinghunter. Welcome to PF !

What quantities are you given? What do you need to find ?

Consider using the Impulse - Momentum Theorem.

You will need to show an attempt before we can give you any more help.

i believe the initial velocity when dave hits the puck is 12m/s (carried over from the initial pass), he hits it with a force of 368N [N30E], its in contact with his stick for 0.25s (acceleration period) and the mass of the puck is 0.22kg so what i did is F=ma and a=v/t F=m(vf-vi/t)
vf=F(t)+vi / m
=368N(0.25s)+12m/s / 0.22kg
but then i get an unrealistic number = 472.7m/s

kinghunter said:
i believe the initial velocity when dave hits the puck is 12m/s (carried over from the initial pass), he hits it with a force of 368N [N30E], its in contact with his stick for 0.25s (acceleration period) and the mass of the puck is 0.22kg so what i did is F=ma and a=v/t F=m(vf-vi/t)
vf=F(t)+vi / m
=368N(0.25s)+12m/s / 0.22kg
but then i get an unrealistic number = 472.7m/s
For one thing your units are don't work out in several places, partly because you ignore placing parentheses adequately.

Beyond that: Force, velocity and acceleration are all vector quantities. A force in the east - west direction will only cause acceleration in the east - west direction so only changes the component of velocity in the east - west direction. The component of velocity in the north - south direction will remain unchanged at 12 m/s [south] .

1. How do you calculate final velocity after a puck is hit?

To calculate the final velocity of a puck after it is hit, you will need to use the equation vf = vi + at. This equation takes into account the initial velocity (vi), the acceleration (a), and the time (t) the puck is in motion. Simply plug in the values for these variables and solve for vf to get the final velocity.

2. What is the initial velocity of a puck?

The initial velocity of a puck is the speed and direction at which it is traveling before it is hit. This can vary depending on the force and angle of the hit, as well as any other external factors such as friction or air resistance.

3. How does acceleration affect the final velocity of a puck?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the final velocity of a puck. The greater the acceleration, the faster the puck will travel and the higher its final velocity will be. However, if there is a negative acceleration (such as due to friction), the final velocity will be lower than if there was no acceleration at all.

4. Can the final velocity of a puck be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible for the final velocity of a puck to be greater than the initial velocity. This can occur if the puck is hit with a significant amount of force or if there is a substantial acceleration present. However, it is important to consider external factors such as friction, which can decrease the final velocity even if there is a strong initial force.

5. How does the time the puck is in motion affect the final velocity?

The longer the puck is in motion, the greater the final velocity will be. This is because the equation for final velocity (vf = vi + at) includes time as a variable, meaning the longer the puck is in motion, the more time there is for acceleration to affect the final velocity. However, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the final velocity, so the time alone is not the only determining factor.