Electric Potential Energy-minimum distance between two pucks

In summary, two frictionless pucks with masses of 0.80kg and 0.40kg, and charges of +3.0 x 10-4 C, are placed on a level surface at an initial distance of 20.0m. Puck 1 has an initial velocity of 12.0m/s [E] while puck 2 has an initial velocity of 8.0m/s [W]. By using the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, it can be determined that the minimum distance between the two pucks is 11.5m. The final velocities of the pucks are 9.92m/s and 3.07m/s, and the final kinetic
chef99

Homework Statement

Two frictionless pucks are placed on a level surface, as shown(see diagram) at an initial distance of 20.0m. The mass of puck 1 is 0.80kg and has a charge of +3.0 x10-4 C, while puck two has a mass of 0.40 kg and a charge of +3.0 x10-4 C. The initial velocity of puck 1 is 12.0m/s [E]. The initial velocity of puck 2 is 8.0m/s [W]. Find the minimum distance between the two pucks.

Homework Equations

Eto= Etf

The Attempt at a Solution

Eto= Etf

Epo + Eko = Epf + Ekf

0 + Eko = Epf + 0

1/2 m(v1o)2 + 1/2 m(v2o)2 = kq1q1/r

1/2(0.80kg)(12.0m/s)2 + 1/2(0.40kg)(8.0m/s)2 = (9.0 x109)(3.0 x10-4)((3.0 x10-4) / r

70.4kgm/s = 810Nm / r

r = 810Nm / 70.4kgm/s

r = 11.5m

The minimum distance between the two puck will be 11.5m.

This is the first time I've tried to determine the minimum value of r (I have only determined the final velocity of the pucks) so I just tried what I thought made sense. I'm pretty sure I have the right idea but just want to make sure. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
chef99 said:

Homework Statement

Two frictionless pucks are placed on a level surface, as shown(see diagram) at an initial distance of 20.0m. The mass of puck 1 is 0.80kg and has a charge of +3.0 x10-4 C, while puck two has a mass of 0.40 kg and a charge of +3.0 x10-4 C. The initial velocity of puck 1 is 12.0m/s [E]. The initial velocity of puck 2 is 8.0m/s [W]. Find the minimum distance between the two pucks.

Homework Equations

Eto= Etf

The Attempt at a Solution

Eto= Etf

Epo + Eko = Epf + Ekf

0 + Eko = Epf + 0

1/2 m(v1o)2 + 1/2 m(v2o)2 = kq1q1/r

1/2(0.80kg)(12.0m/s)2 + 1/2(0.40kg)(8.0m/s)2 = (9.0 x109)(3.0 x10-4)((3.0 x10-4) / r

70.4kgm/s = 810Nm / r

r = 810Nm / 70.4kgm/s

r = 11.5m

The minimum distance between the two puck will be 11.5m.

This is the first time I've tried to determine the minimum value of r (I have only determined the final velocity of the pucks) so I just tried what I thought made sense. I'm pretty sure I have the right idea but just want to make sure. Any input is greatly appreciated.
You are close. Think of it this way. For the total energy to remain constant
##ΔE_p + ΔE_k = 0##
You have accounted for the change in kinetic energy, but not for the change in potential energy. What is the potential energy of the starting configuration?

chef99 said:
Epo + Eko = Epf + Ekf

0 + Eko = Epf + 0
As @tnich pointed out, the initial potential energy is not zero.
Also, the final kinetic energy of the system is not zero.

TSny said:
As @tnich pointed out, the initial potential energy is not zero.
Also, the final kinetic energy of the system is not zero.
You are right. I assumed the pucks would be at zero velocity at the minimum distance, but that is not true. It looks conservation of momentum has to be considered, too.

tnich said:
You are right. I assumed the pucks would be at zero velocity at the minimum distance, but that is not true. It looks conservation of momentum has to be considered, too.
Ok, so this is what I have come up with. I used the conservation of momentum to determine how the velocity of each mass is related to each other.

Using conservation of momentum,

Pto = Ptf

m1v1o - m2v2o = m1v1f - m2v2f

(0.80kg)(12.0m/s) - (0.40kg)(8.0m/s) = (0.80kg)(v1f)(0.40kg)(v2f)

9.6kgm/s - 3.2kgm/s = (0.80kg)(v1f)(0.40kg)(v2f)

v1f = (6.4kgm/s)(0.40kg)(v2f) / (0.80kg)

v1f = 3.2v2fNow using conservation of energy, to determine the final velocities of the pucks, in order to find the final kinetic energy.

EE = Ek1 + Ek2

kq1q2 / r = 1/2 m1(v1f)2 + 1/2 m2(v2f)2

(9.0 x109)(3.0 x10-4C)(3.0 x10-4C) / (20.0m) = 1/2 (0.80kg)(3.2v2f)2 + 1/2 (0.40kg)(v2f)2

40.5 J = 4.296(v2f)2

v2 = √9.427

v2 = 3.07m/sv1 = 3.2v2f

v1 = 3.2(3.1)

v1 = 9.92m/s

Now plugging the velocity values to solve for Ekf.

Ekf = 1/2 m1(v1f)2 + 1/2 m2(v2f)2

Ekf = 1/2 (0.80kg)(9.92m/s)2 + 1/2 (0.40kg)(3.1m/s)2

Ekf = 5.89 J

Now since the values of Ekf, Eko and Epf are known, the value of Epo can be determined:

Epo +Eko = Epf +Ekf

Epo + 70.4 J = 5.89 J + 70.4 J**

Epo + 70.4 J = 76.29 J

Epo = 76.29 J - 70.4 J

Epo = 5.89 J

**earlier determined that

70.4kgm/s = 810Nm/ r

r = 810Nm / 70.4kgm/s

= 11.5m. Using this;

810Nm/ 11.5m

= 70.4 J

This is what I figured, but I may be going way off here. Also is my calculation from the first attempt of r = 11.5 correct? it makes sense here but if that is incorrect then so is this. Thanks

Also, I believe the question just needs me to determine the value of rf.

chef99 said:
Ok, so this is what I have come up with. I used the conservation of momentum to determine how the velocity of each mass is related to each other.

Using conservation of momentum,

Pto = Ptf

When the distance between the two pucks is at a minimum, there is something special about the velocities v1f and v2f. You will need to use this.

You are getting closer.
You have dropped a minus here:
chef99 said:

(0.80kg)(12.0m/s) - (0.40kg)(8.0m/s) = (0.80kg)(v1f)(0.40kg)(v2f)
Also, you have not correctly used conservation of energy here.
chef99 said:
EE = Ek1 + Ek2
kq1q2 / r = 1/2 m1(v1f)2 + 1/2 m2(v2f)2
First of all ##E = E_{k_1} + E_{k_2}## is not the correct equation for conservation of energy, or even for the total energy.
Second, you have assumed that the potential energy at your point of closest approach is equal to the kinetic energy there. That is not true either. I suggest that you go back to the equation for conservation of energy that you correctly wrote as
##E_{p_0} +E_{k_0} = E_{p_f} +E_{k_f}##
and expand each term, including ##E_{p_0}##. By the way, you have already written the correct expression for potential energy
##\frac {kq_1q_2}r##
and all the information you need to calculate ##E_{p_0}## is given in the problem statement.

@TSny alluded to another issue you need to address - you are asked to find the minimum distance between the pucks. Here is a hint about that. Let ##|x_1(t) - x_2(t)|## be the distance between puck 1 and puck 2. Minimize the distance wrt to time t. (Remember that when the distance is at a minimum, the squared distance is also at a minimum.) What does that tell you about the velocities of the pucks when the distance is at a minimum? You should also discover that there is a possibility that the pucks will collide and you will need to decide whether that can happen.

tnich said:
You are getting closer.
You have dropped a minus here:

Also, you have not correctly used conservation of energy here.

First of all ##E = E_{k_1} + E_{k_2}## is not the correct equation for conservation of energy, or even for the total energy.
Second, you have assumed that the potential energy at your point of closest approach is equal to the kinetic energy there. That is not true either. I suggest that you go back to the equation for conservation of energy that you correctly wrote as
##E_{p_0} +E_{k_0} = E_{p_f} +E_{k_f}##
and expand each term, including ##E_{p_0}##. By the way, you have already written the correct expression for potential energy
##\frac {kq_1q_2}r##
and all the information you need to calculate ##E_{p_0}## is given in the problem statement.

@TSny alluded to another issue you need to address - you are asked to find the minimum distance between the pucks. Here is a hint about that. Let ##|x_1(t) - x_2(t)|## be the distance between puck 1 and puck 2. Minimize the distance wrt to time t. (Remember that when the distance is at a minimum, the squared distance is also at a minimum.) What does that tell you about the velocities of the pucks when the distance is at a minimum? You should also discover that there is a possibility that the pucks will collide and you will need to decide whether that can happen.

Thank you for pointing out the error in the conservation of momentum equation. I have been looking through my textbook and there is a practice question with an alpha particle and a proton moving towards each other. These are they equations they used, which seem to me to be similar to the ones you were talking about.

Use Conservation of momentum to find the velocity of each mass at minimum separation. The two masses must have the same velocity at the point of minimum separation.

Let right [East] be positive.

Pto = Ptf

m1v1o + m2v2o = (m1 + m2)vfvf = m1v10 + m2v20 / m1 + m2

vf = (0.80kg)(-12.0m/s) + (0.40kg)(8.0m/s) / (0.80kg) + (0.40kg)

vf = -5.33m/sNow use conservation of energy to determine the distance of minimum approach. Eko + EPo = EPf + Ekf

kq1q2 /ro + (1/2 m1v1o2+1/2 m2v2o2 = kq1q2 /rf + 1/2 (m1+m2)(vf)2

(9.0 x109)(3.0 x10-4)(3.0 x10-4) / (20.0m) + {1/2(0.80)(-12.0m/s)2 + 1/2 (0.40)(8.0m/s)2} = (9.0 x109)(3.0 x10-4)(3.0 x10-4) / rf + 1/2 (0.80 + 0.40)(-5.33)2

40.5 J + 70.4 J = 810 / rf + 17.05 J

110.9 J - 17.05 J = 810 / rf

93.85 J = 810 / rf

rf = 810 / 93.85 J

rf = 8.63mThe minimum distance between the pucks is 8.63m.

This seems to make sense, the one thing I'm not entirely sure about is way Ekf is written in this. It makes sense if the final velocities are they same, but I'm not positive that's the case.

chef99 said:
This seems to make sense, the one thing I'm not entirely sure about is way Ekf is written in this. It makes sense if the final velocities are they same, but I'm not positive that's the case.
I gave you a hint about finding the relationship between the final velocities. Have you tried it?
tnich said:
Let ##|x_1(t) - x_2(t)|## be the distance between puck 1 and puck 2. Minimize the distance wrt to time t. (Remember that when the distance is at a minimum, the squared distance is also at a minimum.) What does that tell you about the velocities of the pucks when the distance is at a minimum? You should also discover that there is a possibility that the pucks will collide and you will need to decide whether that can happen.

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in joules (J).

2. How is electric potential energy related to distance between two charged objects?

The electric potential energy between two charged objects is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance decreases, the potential energy increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the minimum distance between two pucks for them to have the minimum electric potential energy?

The minimum distance between two pucks for them to have the minimum electric potential energy depends on the charges and masses of the pucks. Generally, the minimum distance would be when the pucks are in contact with each other.

4. Can the electric potential energy of two pucks ever be zero?

Yes, the electric potential energy of two pucks can be zero when they are infinitely far apart. This means that there is no electric force acting between them and they are in a state of equilibrium.

5. How can the electric potential energy between two pucks be calculated?

The electric potential energy between two pucks can be calculated using the formula U = k(q1q2)/d, where U is the electric potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the pucks, and d is the distance between them.