Calculating Flux Through a Triangular Region with a Velocity Field

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the problem involves finding the flow rate through a triangular region in three-dimensional space with a velocity field of -j and an upward pointing normal vector. The flow rate can be calculated using Stoke's theorem or the Divergence theorem, and the flux can be found by integrating the divergence of the velocity field over the given region. The flux can be positive or negative, depending on the orientation of the normal vector.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let v = -j be the velocity field of a fluid in 3 dimensional space. Computer the flow rate through the T of a triangular region with vertices (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1) oriented with upward pointing normal vector

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So can I use stokes theorem here to find the flux?
∫∫∇xF dS where F is the velocity field?

and then since this is a vector suface integral dS will equal n du dv?
What are my limits of integration? How do I parameterize this triangle in terms of u and v?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PsychonautQQ! :smile:
PsychonautQQ said:

What are my limits of integration? How do I parameterize this triangle in terms of u and v?

You won't have to bother with parametrisation if you choose your surface(s) so that the integral is obvious …

so can you choose them perpendicular to the three axes? :wink:

I'm a little confused on what you mean by choose them perpendicular to the three axes. Perpendicular to the triangle you mean?

On the other hand I was thinking, do I even need calculus for this problem? Can't I just see that the vector only has a k component, and that if I project the triangle down to the xy plane it has an area of (1*1)/2 = .5.
So could the flux from the velocity vector of -j just be -1*.5 = -.5?

Hi PsychonautQQ! :wink:
PsychonautQQ said:
I'm a little confused on what you mean by choose them perpendicular to the three axes. Perpendicular to the triangle you mean?

I meant the x y and z axes.
On the other hand I was thinking, do I even need calculus for this problem? Can't I just see that the vector only has a k component, and that if I project the triangle down to the xy plane it has an area of (1*1)/2 = .5.
So could the flux from the velocity vector of -j just be -1*.5 = -.5?

Yes! (but don't you need to mention the divergence theorem?) :smile:

Mention divergence theorem? does divergence theorem give the flux?

∫∫∫(∇ dot F) dV?

that would mean
∫∫∫(-1) dxdydz where x y and z all go from 0 to 1? which would give the answer of -1 rather than .5 ;-(

My final answer is supposed to be a "flow rate" through the triangular area with an upward pointing normal vector. I don't know the units for this, and can a flow rate be negative like the -.5 answer that you approved of?

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let v = -j be the velocity field of a fluid in 3 dimensional space. Computer the flow rate through the T of a triangular region with vertices (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1) oriented with upward pointing normal vector

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are shortcuts as you and TinyTim are discussing, but at this stage of your work I would suggest you don't use them. Remember your parameters ##u,v## can always be chosen among the original ##x,y,z## variables if convenient. In this problem your flux is in the negative ##y## direction (not ##z##) so is perpendicular to the ##xz## plane. So why not try letting ##x=x,~z=z,~y =1-x-z## be your parameterization:$$
\vec R(x,z) = \langle x,1-x-z,z\rangle$$and work out the flux integral. You may still see some shortcuts arise.

Likes 1 person
PsychonautQQ said:
Mention divergence theorem? does divergence theorem give the flux?

yes … that's basically why it's called divergence! :wink:

∫∫∫(-1) dxdydz where x y and z all go from 0 to 1?

no, you're missing the point …

you don't need to do a ∫∫∫, because divF = … ? :smile:
My final answer is supposed to be a "flow rate" through the triangular area with an upward pointing normal vector. I don't know the units for this, and can a flow rate be negative like the -.5 answer that you approved of?

yup! :biggrin:

that's why they specified "upward pointing normal" …

if it was downward pointing normal, the flux would be minus that, ie +.5

(and the flux is presumably volume per time: if v was given in metres per second, then that would be cubic metres per second, but v is unrealistically given without units, so the flux will have to be written without units)

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating Flux Through a Triangular Region with a Velocity Field

1. What is the "Flux Problem"?

The "Flux Problem" refers to the challenge of accurately measuring and understanding the movement of particles or energy through a system. It is a common issue in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology where researchers must track the flow of substances or information.

2. Why is it important to address the Flux Problem?

The Flux Problem is important to address because accurately understanding the movement of particles or energy through a system is crucial for making predictions and designing experiments. It also allows scientists to identify potential sources of error and improve the accuracy of their measurements.

3. What are some common techniques used to study the Flux Problem?

Some common techniques used to study the Flux Problem include computational simulations, mathematical models, and experimental methods such as tracer studies and flow measurements. Each approach has its own advantages and limitations, and scientists often use a combination of techniques to gain a comprehensive understanding of flux.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying the Flux Problem?

Studying the Flux Problem has many real-world applications, such as understanding the transport of pollutants in the environment, optimizing drug delivery in medicine, and predicting the spread of infectious diseases. It is also crucial for developing sustainable energy systems and improving our understanding of natural processes.

5. What are some current challenges in addressing the Flux Problem?

One of the main challenges in addressing the Flux Problem is the complexity of natural systems, which often have multiple variables and non-linear relationships. This makes it difficult to accurately model and predict flux. Additionally, obtaining precise measurements of flux can be technically challenging and time-consuming.