One-dimensional integration - flux

So, we have a tetrahedron with corner points at (3/2,0,0), (0,√3/2,0), (0,-√3/2,0), and (1/2,0,√2). The vector field given is F=(-y,x,z^2), and we are asked to calculate the flux of F through the tetrahedron by one dimensional integration. Using the theorem of Gauss, we can apply the formula ∫∫∫T divF dv. We first calculate divF, which is 2z. Since z ranges from 0 to √2, we can separate the integrals and write A(z) as the cross-sectional
drynada
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Calculate flux of the vector field $$F=(-y, x, z^2)$$ through the tetraeder $$T(ABCD)$$ with the corner points $$A= (\frac{3}{2}, 0, 0), B= (0, \frac{\sqrt 3}{2},0), C = (0, -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2},0), D = (\frac{1}{2},0 , \sqrt 2)$$ by one dimensional integrtion.

I calculated div, where $$divF = 2z$$

I can see from the points distribution that $$z\in [0,\sqrt 2] $$ And according to theorem of Gauss I should apply this formula.

$$\iiint_TdivFdv$$

How can I separate the integrals to get one dimensional?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tetrahedron they give you has its base it the x-y plane. What is the area of the base? Can you write an expression for the cross-sectional area ## A (z) ## as a function of z, so that ## dv= d^3x=A(z) dz ##? All you need then is to proceed with the integral. ## \\ ## Additional comment: I believe this post might belong in the homework section. If it is homework/schoolwork, please use the Homework section with the homework template on future posts. Thanks. :)

Charles Link said:
Additional comment: I believe this post might belong in the homework section. If it is homework/schoolwork, please use the Homework section with the homework template on future posts. Thanks. :)
Right.

1. What is one-dimensional integration?

One-dimensional integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve in one dimension. It is commonly used in calculus and physics to calculate quantities such as distance, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is flux in one-dimensional integration?

Flux in one-dimensional integration refers to the flow of a quantity through a one-dimensional surface. It is often represented as a rate of change and can be calculated by integrating the product of a vector field and a differential element over a one-dimensional surface.

3. How is one-dimensional integration used in physics?

One-dimensional integration is used in physics to calculate the total amount of a quantity that is flowing through a one-dimensional surface. It is also used to find the average value of a quantity over a certain distance or time interval.

4. What is the difference between one-dimensional integration and multi-dimensional integration?

The main difference between one-dimensional integration and multi-dimensional integration is the number of dimensions involved. One-dimensional integration deals with finding the area under a curve in one dimension, while multi-dimensional integration involves finding the volume under a surface in multiple dimensions.

5. How is one-dimensional integration related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations. One-dimensional integration is directly related to this theorem as it involves finding the antiderivative of a function, which is the inverse of differentiation.