Calculating force required of the deltoid muscle - statics problem

In summary, to support 5.8 kg at 24 cm from the shoulder joint, the deltoid muscle must exert a force of 9.1 kg.
omega5

Homework Statement

Hello and thank you in advance for your help!
I am taking an introductory algebra-based physics class and am trying to solve this problem:
Suppose an arm holds an 5.8-kg mass. The total mass of the arm is 3.3 kg. Gravity acts from the center of the arm, which is 24 cm away from the joint. To support the mass, the deltoid muscle exerts a leftward force 15° above the horizontal, and 12 cm away from the joint. The joint itself exerts a rightward force subtending an unspecified angle from the horizontal.
What force, FM, is required of the deltoid muscle, assuming the mass is 52 cm from the shoulder joint?

Homework Equations

Since there is no motion,
Tau = 0
ƩFy= 0
ƩFx= 0
Torques about the shoulder joint:
Tau = perpendicular force * length from joint

Gravitational forces:
FG = mg

For forces at an angle:
Fnet = √(Fx)2+(Fy)2

The Attempt at a Solution

There seem to be too many variables to calculate Fm.
The best equation system I could come up with was:
(y+ is up, x+ is rightward)

Taunet = (FM sin 15°)(0.12 m) - (FJsin θ)(x) - (3.3g)(0.24 m) - (5.8g)(0.52 m)
FXnet = (FM sin 15°) - (FJsin θ) - (9.1g)
FYnet = (FJcos θ) - (FM cos 15°)

I know there must be some way to cut the variables down to three and then solve the system, but neither FJ, the angle it subtends, or the lever arm of its vertical force is given. I can't figure out how to work around this.

I hope the image upload works:
giancoli_cp7.ch9.p35.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello omega5 and welcome to PF.
omega5 said:
Taunet = (FM sin 15°)(0.12 m) - (FJsin θ)(x) - (3.3g)(0.24 m) - (5.8g)(0.52 m)
You should be able to see what value to use for x in your torque expression.

Thanks for responding!
Do you mean FJ cos θ°? I didn't think it would give me the lever arm distance, just the horizontal force.

What location are you choosing for the axis of rotation for setting up your torques?

The joint itself - I tried setting the axis as the point where FJ acts, but thought the lever arms would still have to be include x to define them from that frame of reference.

Last edited:
If the axis is chosen at the joint and if FJ is located at the joint, then what is the lever arm distance, x, for this force?

Oh! It just hit me. For some reason I had realized the lever arm was at the point the force acted at for FM but didn't realize that for FJ. I am very grateful!

1. How do you calculate the force required of the deltoid muscle in a statics problem?

The force required of the deltoid muscle in a statics problem can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. Alternatively, the force can also be calculated using the formula F = mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). It is important to consider the direction of the force and the angle of the deltoid muscle in relation to the object being moved.

2. What factors affect the force required of the deltoid muscle in a statics problem?

The force required of the deltoid muscle in a statics problem can be affected by several factors, such as the weight and mass of the object being moved, the angle of the deltoid muscle in relation to the object, the distance between the deltoid muscle and the object, and the angle and position of the body in relation to the object.

3. How does the force required of the deltoid muscle change with different angles?

The force required of the deltoid muscle can vary depending on the angle of the muscle in relation to the object being moved. The force required will be higher when the muscle is pulling at a perpendicular angle to the object, and lower when the angle is less than 90 degrees. This is because the force required is a combination of the horizontal and vertical components of the muscle's force.

4. Can the force required of the deltoid muscle be reduced?

Yes, the force required of the deltoid muscle can be reduced by changing the angle of the muscle in relation to the object, using leverage to decrease the distance between the muscle and the object, and by distributing the weight of the object between multiple muscles. Proper body mechanics and technique can also help reduce the force required.

5. Why is it important to calculate the force required of the deltoid muscle in a statics problem?

Calculating the force required of the deltoid muscle in a statics problem is important because it helps us understand the amount of force needed to move an object, and how different factors can affect this force. This can be useful in fields such as biomechanics and physical therapy, where understanding muscle forces and movements is essential for treating injuries and improving performance.