Calculating Forces at A and B on Shelf in Slot

In summary: Edit: I got the "right" answer. Use g=9.8 not 9.81 or 10. Thanks @CWatters. Because of your post, I want back and reviewed my work and found my mistake. My mistake was greater than what would be caused by using different gravity values.
elf197320501

Homework Statement

When a wood shelf of mass 7.7 kg is fastened inside a slot in a vertical support as shown in (Figure 1) , the support exerts a torque on the shelf. Assume that the slot exerts two vertical forces on the shelf, at points A and B.
Giancoli7.ch9.p80_1.jpg

Determine the force exerted on the shelf by the support slot at A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the sum of the torques has to equal 0 and that the forces at A and CM is downwards, and upwards at B but I can't seem to get the correct answer (the correct answer is -566N)

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for an answer?

Edit: I didn't get that answer either. But I don't have a lot of confidence in my answer because I know from experience that I make lots of mistakes. :)

Last edited:
I got the "right" answer. Use g=9.8 not 9.81 or 10.

Thanks @CWatters. Because of your post, I want back and reviewed my work and found my mistake. My mistake was greater than what would be caused by using different gravity values. And yes, 9.8 gives the right answer.

elf197320501 said:

Homework Statement

When a wood shelf of mass 7.7 kg is fastened inside a slot in a vertical support as shown in (Figure 1) , the support exerts a torque on the shelf. Assume that the slot exerts two vertical forces on the shelf, at points A and B.
Giancoli7.ch9.p80_1.jpg

Determine the force exerted on the shelf by the support slot at A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the sum of the torques has to equal 0 and that the forces at A and CM is downwards, and upwards at B but I can't seem to get the correct answer (the correct answer is -566N)
Please post your working. A bit hard to find your mistake otherwise.

1. How do you calculate the forces at points A and B on a shelf in a slot?

To calculate the forces at points A and B on a shelf in a slot, you need to first determine the weight of the shelf and any objects placed on it. Next, use the equation F = m x a to calculate the force of gravity on the shelf. Finally, use the equations for static equilibrium to calculate the forces at points A and B by setting the sum of all forces equal to zero.

2. What types of forces are acting on the shelf in a slot?

There are typically three types of forces acting on a shelf in a slot: the force of gravity, the normal force from the slot, and any external forces such as objects placed on the shelf. These forces can be either vertical or horizontal, depending on the orientation of the shelf and the objects.

3. How does the orientation of the shelf affect the calculation of forces at A and B?

The orientation of the shelf can affect the calculation of forces at A and B because it will change the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the shelf. If the shelf is tilted, the force of gravity will act at an angle, and the normal force from the slot will also have a different direction. This will impact the calculations for the forces at points A and B.

4. Are there any assumptions made when calculating forces at A and B on a shelf in a slot?

Yes, there are some assumptions made when calculating forces at A and B on a shelf in a slot. One assumption is that the shelf and objects on it are in static equilibrium, meaning they are not moving. Another assumption is that the shelf is rigid and not bending or deforming under the weight of the objects. These assumptions may not hold true in real-life scenarios and can affect the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How can the calculation of forces at A and B on a shelf in a slot be applied in real-world situations?

The calculation of forces at A and B on a shelf in a slot can be applied in various real-world situations. For example, it can be used in the design and construction of shelves and cabinets to ensure they can support the weight of objects placed on them. It can also be used in mechanical engineering to determine the forces acting on a structure or machine. Additionally, understanding the forces at A and B can help with weight distribution and stability analysis in various industries such as construction and transportation.