Calculating forces on a Moncoque chassis

In summary, a Motorsport Engineering student is seeking assistance with a presentation on calculating the forces on a car chassis. They are specifically focusing on the Monocoque chassis and would appreciate any recommendations or resources. A fellow member suggests researching the rule book of the sanctioning organization for build specifications and mentions Nascar's efforts in this area.
wicz
Hi There,

This is my first post but hopefully you can help me,

Im a 2nd Year Motorsport Engineering student, I've been set the task of doing a short presentation on how you calculate the forces acting on a car chassis, with some example calculations.

My classmate and myself have backed ourselves into a corner slightly by choosing to do this on the Monocoque chassis, which I am majorly struggling with! Wishing we had chosen spaceframe now!

Would be great if someone could point me in the direction, or maybe recommend a paper or technical report?

Thanks in advance!
Max

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome Max
nice to see some one interested in motor sports..i have brrn since 1966

read page two on

Race car suspension Class
posted by Ranger Mike
Jul29-09, 02:31 PM
go to Search link above

give you an example of loads during cornering..now as far as chassis strength
relative to roll over and crash strength...a little reverse engineering would be in order
i would consult the rule book of the sanctioning organization for minimum build spec for the car class, then calculate the components strength accordingly..I know Nascar spent a ton of money researching this exact point after Dale T boned the wall at Daytona..the specs may be way over engineered ..but you can bet your ...life..they are safe..
rm

Thanks! I will give that thread a read

Related to Calculating forces on a Moncoque chassis

1. How do you calculate the forces on a Monocoque chassis?

To calculate the forces on a Monocoque chassis, you will need to use the principles of statics and mechanics. This involves analyzing the external forces acting on the chassis, such as weight and aerodynamic forces, and the internal forces within the chassis structure. By using equations and mathematical calculations, you can determine the overall forces acting on the chassis.

2. What are the main external forces acting on a Monocoque chassis?

The main external forces on a Monocoque chassis include weight, aerodynamic forces, and impact forces. Weight is the downward force exerted by the chassis and its components due to gravity. Aerodynamic forces are generated by the movement of air around the chassis, and can vary depending on the shape and speed of the vehicle. Impact forces are caused by collisions or sudden changes in velocity, and can exert significant pressure on the chassis structure.

3. How does the chassis design affect the forces acting on it?

The design of the Monocoque chassis can greatly influence the forces acting on it. A well-designed chassis will distribute the external forces evenly throughout the structure, reducing stress and increasing overall stability. The use of strong and lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber, can also help to minimize the impact of external forces on the chassis.

4. What is the role of computer simulations in calculating forces on a Monocoque chassis?

Computer simulations are an essential tool in calculating forces on a Monocoque chassis. By creating a virtual model of the chassis, engineers can analyze the effects of different forces and design elements on the structure. This allows for more accurate and efficient calculations, as well as the ability to test and refine the design before physically building the chassis.

5. How do you ensure the Monocoque chassis can withstand the calculated forces?

Before being used in a vehicle, the Monocoque chassis must undergo rigorous testing to ensure it can withstand the calculated forces. This includes physical stress testing, where the chassis is subjected to forces similar to those it will experience during use. Computer simulations can also be used to verify the results of the calculations and make any necessary adjustments to the design. Only after passing these tests can the chassis be deemed safe for use in a vehicle.