Calculating Fourier Transform with Unit Step Function and Time Shift

In summary, the Fourier transform of u(t) - u(t-T) is (pi*delta(w) + 1/jw) - (e^(-jwT) * (pi*delta(w) + 1/jw)). Don't forget to take into account the time shift when determining the Fourier transform of a function. Keep practicing and you'll master it soon!
nahanksh

Homework Statement

Determine the Fourier transform of the following:

u(t) - u(t-T)

where u(t) is a unit step function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Fourier transform of u(t) is pi*delta(w) + 1/jw

but when u(t-T) comes into the picture, the time shift would be e-jwT

But is w inside the formula going to be changed too accordingly?

I am so confused...

I believe this is really simple problem if i could get a little bit of help...

Please someone help me out here..

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Don't worry, this is a common confusion when dealing with Fourier transforms. The time shift does indeed affect the w inside the formula, but not in the way you might think.

First, let's start with the Fourier transform of u(t-T). As you correctly stated, the time shift will result in a term of e^(-jwT) in the formula. However, this term will not affect the w inside the formula. It will simply be multiplied to the entire expression. So, the Fourier transform of u(t-T) will be e^(-jwT) * (pi*delta(w) + 1/jw).

Now, when we consider the function u(t) - u(t-T), we can break it down into two parts: u(t) and u(t-T). The Fourier transform of u(t) is already known to be pi*delta(w) + 1/jw. And as we just determined, the Fourier transform of u(t-T) is e^(-jwT) * (pi*delta(w) + 1/jw). So, the Fourier transform of u(t) - u(t-T) will simply be the difference of these two expressions, which is (pi*delta(w) + 1/jw) - (e^(-jwT) * (pi*delta(w) + 1/jw)).

I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Remember, when dealing with Fourier transforms, it's important to break down the function into simpler parts and then apply the appropriate transformations. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it in no time!

Related to Calculating Fourier Transform with Unit Step Function and Time Shift

1. What is a Simple Fourier Transform?

A Simple Fourier Transform is a mathematical technique used to break down a signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain.

2. How does a Simple Fourier Transform work?

A Simple Fourier Transform works by decomposing a signal into its constituent frequencies. It does this by representing the signal as a combination of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes. The result is a spectrum that shows the strength of each frequency component in the signal.

3. What are the applications of a Simple Fourier Transform?

A Simple Fourier Transform has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in image and audio processing, data compression, pattern recognition, and many other areas where signals need to be analyzed and manipulated.

4. What is the difference between a Simple Fourier Transform and a Fast Fourier Transform?

The main difference between a Simple Fourier Transform (SFT) and a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is the computation time. SFT calculates the frequency components of a signal using basic mathematical operations, which can be time-consuming for large datasets. FFT, on the other hand, uses an algorithm to speed up the computation process and is more efficient for analyzing large datasets.

5. Are there any limitations of a Simple Fourier Transform?

Although a Simple Fourier Transform is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the signal is periodic, which may not be true for all signals. It also assumes that the signal is stationary, meaning that its frequency components do not change over time. Additionally, SFT may not be suitable for signals with sharp changes or discontinuities.