Calculating Gasoline Consumption for Car Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gas consumption by a car's engine, taking into account its energy content, mass, speed, and efficiency. The final calculation results in an estimated consumption of 1.69 oz of gasoline.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

Gasoline has an energy content of 9.38 × 10^5 J/oz. If a car,
with a mass of 1500 kg, is accelerated to a speed of 29.1
m/s, how much gas is consumed by the engine, assuming
40% efficiency?

Homework Equations

w=fd
w= ΔKE

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started by multiplying the energy content of gasoline by .4 so I believe I could just treat it was being 100 percent efficient after that.
I then calculated the KE the car had at the end of it's acceleration. 1/2*(1500kg)*(29.1 m/s)^2 = 635107.5 J. I then divided this by the amount of energy a car uses per oz of gasoline which was .4 * 9.38*10^5 J/oz to get the oz's. Which was 1.69.
Is this all correct?

Thank you to anyone for their time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct.

Likes 1 person

What is the formula for calculating gasoline consumption for car acceleration?

The formula for calculating gasoline consumption for car acceleration is (acceleration rate * car weight * distance) / (fuel efficiency * 100).

How do I determine the acceleration rate of my car?

The acceleration rate of a car can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the car to reach a certain speed, and then using the formula acceleration = change in speed / time.

What is the average car weight used in the gasoline consumption formula?

The average car weight used in the formula is typically around 4,000 pounds, but can vary depending on the specific make and model of the car.

What is considered a good fuel efficiency for calculating gasoline consumption?

A good fuel efficiency for calculating gasoline consumption is typically around 25 miles per gallon (mpg) for city driving and 30 mpg for highway driving. However, this can vary depending on the car's make, model, and year.

Can I use the same formula for calculating gasoline consumption for electric or hybrid cars?

No, the formula for calculating gasoline consumption is specifically for cars that run on gasoline. Electric and hybrid cars have different methods of calculating energy consumption.