Calculating Gasoline Tank Depth and Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a rectangular gasoline tank can hold 39.0 kg of gasoline when full and asks for the depth of the tank and its volume in gallons. The conversation also mentions the equations used to solve the problem and the assumed value for the density of gasoline. However, further clarification is needed on the density value to accurately solve the problem.
tennisgirl92

Homework Statement

(a) A rectangular gasoline tank can hold 39.0 kg of gasoline when full. What is the depth of the tank if it is 0.450 m wide by 0.900 m long?
m
(b) What is the volume of the tank? (It is suitable for a passenger car.)
gal

Homework Equations

Density of gas=719.7=mass/volume
Volume=lengthxwidthxheight
density=mass/volume
density=mass/ (lengthxwidthxheight)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed depth was referring to the height, which might be what I'm doing wrong.
719.7=39/ (.45 x .9 x h)
height=.1338m
And then I would convert the volume (.45 x .9m x .1338m) to gallons using (1 gal=.003785 m3)

This seems fairly straight forward, but for some reason this answer is wrong. Please help!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You work looks correct to me. What did you get for the number of gallons?

The depth of .1338m was incorrect, so I knew the volume would be and didn't do the calculation. I've checked my math, and I still get .1338m

The density of gasoline can vary. Were you given a particular value for the density?

No, no value was given. I googled this value.

Are you using a textbook that has a table of densities?

No, I just searched through the textbook and I do not see table of densities.

OK. Although Wikipedia gives 719.7 kg/m3, they also state, "Finished marketable gasoline is traded with a standard reference of 0.755 kg/L", which is 755 kg/m3. Several other sites give values between 730 and 750 kg/m3. So, it's hard to say what value you should use.

Thank you-I am going to clarify with professor

What is the formula for calculating the depth of a gasoline tank?

The formula for calculating the depth of a gasoline tank is depth = volume / area, where the volume is the total capacity of the tank and the area is the cross-sectional area of the tank.

How do I determine the volume of a gasoline tank?

The volume of a gasoline tank can be determined by multiplying the length, width, and height of the tank. If the tank has irregular shapes, you can use the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder or a rectangle depending on the shape of the tank.

Can I use the same formula for calculating the depth and volume of any type of gasoline tank?

Yes, as long as you have the correct measurement for the volume and area of the tank, you can use the same formula to calculate the depth and volume of any type of gasoline tank.

How do I convert the depth and volume measurements from imperial units to metric units?

To convert depth from inches to centimeters, simply multiply the measurement in inches by 2.54. To convert volume from gallons to liters, multiply the measurement in gallons by 3.785.

What factors can affect the accuracy of my calculations for gasoline tank depth and volume?

The accuracy of your calculations can be affected by factors such as irregular shapes of the tank, presence of obstructions inside the tank, and rounding errors in your measurements. It is important to double-check your measurements and use precise calculations to minimize any potential errors.