Calculating Gear Teeth: Finding Unknowns and PCD | Homework Help

• Thread starter Rastanking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear Teeth
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving 3 gears: a sun gear with 45 teeth, a planet gear with unknown teeth and speed, and a ring gear with unknown teeth and a speed of 21rpm in the opposite direction. The goal is to find the number of teeth for the planet and ring gear, as well as the PCD of the ring gear. The person has attempted to calculate the gear ratios between the sun and the ring gear and the sun and the arm, but is unsure of how to proceed with the unknowns.
Rastanking

Homework Statement

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to start with this problem. There are 3 gears

A sun gear which is in the centre with 45 teeth, pitch 15mm and revolves at 63rpm CW

This drives an arm which connects the sun gear to a planet gear, the arm rotates at 9rpm CW

The planet gear, teeth unknown, speed unknown

The ring gear rotates at 21rpm ACW, teeth unknown.

The question asks us to find number of teeth for the planet and ring gear and the PCD of the ring gear.

I know that the teeth of the ring = 2 x teeth of the planet + teeth of the sun but how do I find out that when there are 2 unknowns?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to calculate the gear ratios between the sun and the ring gear which works out at 1:3 and the gear ratio of the sun to arm which works out at 1:7

From there I am a bit lost as to what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
. Is there some way of using these gear ratios to find out the number of teeth for the planet and ring gear?

1. How do you calculate the number of teeth on a gear?

The number of teeth on a gear can be calculated using the formula N = (2π * R) / P, where N is the number of teeth, R is the radius of the gear, and P is the pitch of the gear.

2. What is the pitch of a gear?

The pitch of a gear is the distance between two adjacent teeth on a gear. It is typically measured in millimeters or inches.

3. How do you determine the gear ratio?

The gear ratio is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driven gear has 20 teeth and the driving gear has 10 teeth, the gear ratio would be 2:1.

4. What is the purpose of calculating gear teeth?

Calculating gear teeth is important in designing and manufacturing gears for various machines and mechanisms. It ensures that the gears will mesh properly and allows for precise control of speed and torque.

5. Can gear teeth be calculated for non-circular gears?

Yes, gear teeth can be calculated for non-circular gears using advanced mathematical equations and computer software. However, the process is more complex than calculating teeth for circular gears.