Using Noether's Theorem to get conserved quantities

In summary, for a system of N point particles with mass mα, the Lagrangian is given by L = 1/2 ∑m_i * (dr_i/dt)^2 - ∑(i≠j) V(|r_i - r_j|). By using Noether's theorem, the system has 6 conserved quantities, including momentum and angular momentum. To obtain the other 4, you can use the fact that momentum is a vector quantity and each of its Cartesian components is conserved.
Toby_phys

Homework Statement

N point particles of mass mα, α = 1,...,N move in their mutual gravitational field. Write down the Lagrangian for this system. Use Noether’s theorem to derive six constants of motion for the system, none of which is the energy

Homework Equations

Noethers Theorem: If a change ([itex] q_i \implies q_i+\delta q_i [/itex]) creates no change in the Lagrangian the conserved quantity is
[tex] \sum \dot{p_i}\delta q_i [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So my lagrangian is:
[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}\sum m_i \dot{r}^2_i-\sum_{i\neq j}V(|r_i-r_j|)
[/tex]

With this I can get 2 conserved quantities - momentum (from translational invariance) and angular momentum. How do I get the other 4?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toby_phys said:
With this I can get 2 conserved quantities - momentum (from translational invariance) and angular momentum. How do I get the other 4?
How many components of each?

Toby_phys said:
So my lagrangian is:
[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}\sum m_i \dot{r}^2_i-\sum_{i\neq j}V(|r_i-r_j|)
[/tex]
Do any of the symbols here represent vector quantities? Are you meant to write the potential energy explicitly for gravitational interaction?

By "momentum", are you referring to the total linear momentum of the system? Momentum is a vector quantity. If it is conserved, what can you say about each of its Cartesian components? {Edit: I see Orodruin already addressed this point.}

1. What is Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is a fundamental concept in physics that states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. It was developed by mathematician Emmy Noether in the early 20th century and has been widely used in various fields of physics.

2. How does Noether's Theorem work?

Noether's Theorem works by connecting the symmetries of a physical system to its conserved quantities. This is achieved by using the Lagrangian formalism, which is a mathematical framework for describing the dynamics of a system. By applying Noether's Theorem to the Lagrangian, one can determine the conserved quantities associated with the symmetries of the system.

3. What are some examples of conserved quantities obtained through Noether's Theorem?

Some examples of conserved quantities obtained through Noether's Theorem include energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These are all conserved in a wide range of physical systems due to the symmetries present in those systems. Other examples include charge, baryon number, and lepton number, which are conserved in certain particle interactions.

4. Why is Noether's Theorem important in physics?

Noether's Theorem is important in physics because it allows us to understand the fundamental laws of nature and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. It also provides a deeper understanding of symmetries and their role in the laws of physics. Additionally, Noether's Theorem has been used to derive many important equations, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

5. Are there any limitations to Noether's Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to Noether's Theorem. One limitation is that it only applies to systems that exhibit certain types of symmetries, such as time translation symmetry or spatial translation symmetry. Additionally, Noether's Theorem does not always provide a unique solution for conserved quantities, and further analysis may be necessary to determine the specific conserved quantities in a given system.