RLC Circuit Behavior with Changing Frequency, Capacitance, and Voltage

In summary: I am glad my solution is correct. Great job summarizing the content of the conversation. Keep up the good work!
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

In the tuned circuit below, what will happen to the reading of the ammeter when:
a) source frequency increases. The voltage is constant
b) the capacitance increases. The voltage and source frequency are constant
c) The voltage increases. Source frequency is constant.
R8vfj.jpg

Homework Equations

ƒ =1/(2π√LC) Where: C is the capacitance and L is the inductance.
I= V/Z Where: V is the voltage and Z is the impedance.
Xc=1/ωC
Xl=ωL
Z=√R²+(Xl-Xc)²

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my solution:

a) the ammeter reading decreses.
Explanation: when source frequency varies the circuit is no longer in resonance so the impedance increases,
Z=√R²+ (Xl-Xc)²

b) the ammeter reading decreases.
Explanation: when the capacitance C increases, Xc decrease, then (Xl-Xc) increses, hence the impedance increases because:
Z= √R²+(Xl-Xc)²

c) the ammeter reading increases.
Explanation: since source frequency is constant, the circuit is still in resonance. So, increasing in voltage will increase the current becuase the impedance of the circuit will not change.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:

Homework Statement

In the tuned circuit below, what will happen to the reading of the ammeter when:
a) source frequency increases. The voltage is constant
b) the capacitance increases. The voltage and source frequency are constant
c) The voltage increases. Source frequency is constant.
R8vfj.jpg

Homework Equations

ƒ =1/(2π√LC) Where: C is the capacitance and L is the inductance.
I= V/Z Where: V is the voltage and Z is the impedance.
Xc=1/ωC
Xl=ωL
Z=√R²+(Xl-Xc)²

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my solution:

a) the ammeter reading decreses.
Explanation: when source frequency varies the circuit is no longer in resonance so the impedance increases,
Z=√R²+ (Xl-Xc)²

b) the ammeter reading decreases.
Explanation: when the capacitance C increases, Xc decrease, then (Xl-Xc) increses, hence the impedance increases because:
Z= √R²+(Xl-Xc)²

c) the ammeter reading increases.
Explanation: since source frequency is constant, the circuit is still in resonance. So, increasing in voltage will increase the current becuase the impedance of the circuit will not change.

Am I correct?
Yes, it is correct. Well done!

ehild said:
Yes, it is correct. Well done!
Thank you, ehild!

What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These elements interact with each other to create a specific current flow and voltage response.

What is the importance of current in an RLC circuit?

The current in an RLC circuit is important as it determines the behavior and response of the circuit. It is affected by the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the frequency of the input voltage. The current can also be used to calculate the power and energy dissipated in the circuit.

How does the current change in an RLC circuit?

The current in an RLC circuit can change in different ways depending on the values of the components and the input voltage frequency. It can oscillate back and forth in an AC circuit, or it can decay over time in a DC circuit. The current may also reach a steady state or resonate at a specific frequency in an RLC circuit.

What factors affect the current in an RLC circuit?

The current in an RLC circuit is affected by the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the frequency of the input voltage. The resistance and reactance (inductive or capacitive) values of the elements determine the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. The frequency of the input voltage also affects the current by causing it to resonate or change in amplitude.

How do you calculate the current in an RLC circuit?

The current in an RLC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I=V/R) or Kirchhoff's laws. The values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor can also be used to determine the impedance of the circuit, which is the total opposition to current flow. This can then be used to calculate the current using Ohm's Law or complex number calculations.