Calculating Impulse Based off a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the impulse on a 3.0 particle experiencing a given force, as shown in Figure 1. The conversation also mentions using impulse and force equations to solve the problem. The individual attempting the solution mentions adding and subtracting areas on the force graph, resulting in a value of 5000 N s, which is deemed incorrect. Finally, another individual points out the possibility of a mistake in units, leading to a resolution of the issue.
doctorjuice

Homework Statement

What is the impulse on a 3.0 particle that experiences the force shown in the figure (Figure 1) ?
Figure 1:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1382988/2/09.EX04.jpg

Homework Equations

Impulse equations, force equations, how they relate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the area above the x-axis for the time interval 2 to 8 and subtracted the areas from 0 to 2 and 8 to 10. This answer came out to be 5000 N s which is incorrect. I'm confused because I thought the integral of force (the area bounded by the force graph) is equal to impulse.

Help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your result seems too large. s vs ms, perhaps?

lewando said:
Your result seems too large. s vs ms, perhaps?

Yes! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Related to Calculating Impulse Based off a graph

1. How do you calculate impulse from a graph?

To calculate impulse from a graph, you need to find the area under the curve of the force vs. time graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller rectangles and adding up their areas, or by using a calculus method such as integration.

2. What units are used to measure impulse?

Impulse is typically measured in units of Newton-seconds (N*s) or kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What information do I need to calculate impulse from a graph?

You will need to know the force and time values from the graph. It is important to make sure the units are consistent, as using different units can result in incorrect calculations.

4. Can you calculate impulse from a velocity vs. time graph?

Yes, impulse can also be calculated from a velocity vs. time graph. In this case, you would need to find the area under the curve of the velocity graph, which would give you the change in momentum. Impulse is equal to the change in momentum.

5. What is the significance of calculating impulse?

Calculating impulse helps us understand the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is a useful tool in studying the motion of objects and can also be used to analyze collisions and interactions between objects.