Calculating Impulse: Homework Solution

• Thread starter LBP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, in this conversation, the question asks for the impulse received by a player who catches a handball rebounding from a wall, as well as the average force exerted on the player by the ball. Using Newton's 2nd law and kinematic equations, the impulse on the wall and the average force on the wall were calculated. To find the impulse on the player, kinematic equations were used to solve for the time of contact, which was then used in the equation for net force to find the average force on the player.
LBP

Homework Statement

A 0.060-kg handball is thrown straight toward a wall with a speed of 11 m/s. It rebounds straight backward at a speed of 8.6 m/s.

(c) The rebounding ball is caught by a player who brings it to rest. During the process, her hand moves back 0.40 m. What is the impulse received by the player?

(d) What average force was exerted on the player by the ball?

Homework Equations

P=MV
I=delta P= M(Vf-Vi)
Inet=(Favg)(delta t)

X= X0 + V0t -1/2at^2
V=V0-at

The Attempt at a Solution

From parts A and B I know the impulse on the wall was 1.176 into the wall, and with 3ms of contact the average force on the wall by the ball is 392N.

For part C I attempted to use kinematic to solve for t to use in the equation Inet=(Favg)(delta t)

I substituted a in the first equation with a rewritten version of the V=V0-at to get a=(V-V0)/-t.

So I got:

.4m = 0 + (8.6m/s)t + -1/2(0-8.6m/s)/t

and t=.093 seconds

But then I'm not sure how to find the average force on the player by the ball without the impulse.

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
What about Newton's 2nd law: F = ma = m (Vf - Vi) / (tf - ti) ?

But, I = F (tf - ti) = m [(Vf - Vi) / (tf - ti)] (tf - ti) = m (Vf - Vi) as you originally stated.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and it measures the change in momentum of an object. It is represented by the equation I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

2. How do you calculate impulse?

To calculate impulse, you can use the formula I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is the force acting on the object, and Δt is the time interval during which the force is applied. You can also use the formula I = mΔv, where m is the mass of the object and Δv is the change in velocity.

3. What is the unit of impulse?

The unit of impulse is kilogram-meter per second (kg∙m/s) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be expressed as newton-second (N∙s) or pound-second (lb∙s).

4. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are closely related in that impulse is the change in an object's momentum. This means that the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum, and vice versa. In terms of equations, impulse is equal to the change in momentum (I = Δp), where p is momentum.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse?

Some real-life examples of impulse include hitting a baseball with a bat, kicking a soccer ball, or catching a falling object. In all of these scenarios, a force is applied to an object for a certain amount of time, resulting in a change in momentum and thus, impulse.