Calculating initial temperature of iron block submerged into water

In summary, the solutions for the masses and temperatures are different. One has Q3 as negative and the other has it as positive. The water mass is also different, with one using 4186 grams and the other using 200.562 grams.
ayans2495
Homework Statement
A heated block of iron at temperature Ti with a mass of 61.331g is submerged into a beaker of water which has a mass of 200.562g and an inital temperature of 24.6 degrees Celsius. Once the iron is immersed into the water, 0.362 grams of the water evaporates. What is the initial temperature Ti of the iron block such that the final equilibrium temperature Tf is 34.3 degrees celsius?
Relevant Equations
Q=ml
Q=mcΔT Note: Δm=0.632
1614152916714.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Is my solution correct? If not, may you please advise me on how to change it?

Also, Δm actually equals 0.362. I made an error there.

Since your sign convention is unstated, it is hard to be sure whether your signs are correct. What numerical answer do you get?

(Quoting the masses to five and six figures when temperatures are only given to three is bizarre. Are you sure you have copied that correctly?)

I got that the initial temperature is 207 degrees Celsius as it was heated using a bunsen burner.

ayans2495 said:
I got that the initial temperature is 207 degrees Celsius as it was heated using a bunsen burner.
I get a considerably higher number. Please post the details of your working.

haruspex said:
I get a considerably higher number. Please post the details of your working.
I simply inputted the values provided into the equation I derived and solved for TiI. The sign convention of Q3 I believe is negative as if I were to make it positive I would end up with a negative result.

ayans2495 said:
I simply inputted the values provided into the equation I derived and solved for TiI.
Yes, but I did the same and get a rather different number, so one of us has an error. Please post the equation with all the numbers filled in.

haruspex said:
Yes, but I did the same and get a rather different number, so one of us has an error. Please post the equation with all the numbers filled in.
Perhaps I didn't round to the correct significant figures. When you asked whether or not I measured these correctly, the scale I used to measure these masses gave them in 4 to 5 s.f, but the thermometer in 3.May you please show me what values should be? I just posted my solution below.

Attachments

• 1614236235925.png
    1614236235925.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 112
ayans2495 said:
Perhaps I didn't round to the correct significant figures. When you asked whether or not I measured these correctly, the scale I used to measure these masses gave them in 4 to 5 s.f, but the thermometer in 3.May you please show me what values should be? I just posted my solution below.
Where does the 9.9866 figure come from? You gave the water mass as 200.562g.
Given the precision elsewhere, you should use 4186, not 4200.

haruspex said:
Where does the 9.9866 figure come from? You gave the water mass as 200.562g.
Given the precision elsewhere, you should use 4186, not 4200.

Sorry the actual mass of the water is 99.866 grams. I will be sure to use 4186.

1. How do you calculate the initial temperature of an iron block submerged into water?

To calculate the initial temperature of an iron block submerged into water, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of iron and water, the mass of the iron block, and the change in temperature of the water. The formula for this calculation is:
Initial temperature of iron block = Final temperature of water - (Change in temperature of water * Specific heat capacity of water / Specific heat capacity of iron * Mass of iron block)

2. What is the specific heat capacity of iron and water?

The specific heat capacity of iron is 0.45 J/g°C and the specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J/g°C. These values are necessary for the calculation of the initial temperature of an iron block submerged into water.

3. How does the mass of the iron block affect the initial temperature calculation?

The mass of the iron block is an important factor in the calculation of the initial temperature because it determines the amount of heat that is transferred from the iron block to the water. A larger mass of iron block will result in a larger change in temperature of the water, and therefore a lower initial temperature of the iron block.

4. What other factors may affect the accuracy of the initial temperature calculation?

Other factors that may affect the accuracy of the initial temperature calculation include the initial temperature of the water, the shape and size of the iron block, and the rate of heat transfer between the iron block and the water. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate calculation.

5. Can this calculation be used for other materials besides iron and water?

Yes, this calculation can be used for other materials as long as their specific heat capacities are known. However, the specific heat capacity of different materials may vary and can affect the accuracy of the calculation. It is important to use the correct values for the specific heat capacities of the materials involved.