Final temperature for two blocks of iron placed in contact

In summary, the two blocks of iron, one of mass 2m at 25.0c and the other of mass m at 10.0c, are in contact with each other. If no heat is exchanged with the surroundings, the final temperature of the two blocks is 20C.
dwight_v
Member advised to use informative thread titles for Homework Help requests.

Homework Statement

Two blocks of iron, one of mass m at 10.0C and the other of mass 2m at 25.0c, are placed in contact with each other. If no heat is exchanged with the surroundings, which of the following is the final temperature of the two blocks?
A)10
B)15 .
D) 20C ( this is the answer)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve doing m(x-10) = 2m(x-25) but then I get x = 40. The answer is 20, but I don't see why you would divide x by 2. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think should happen, can you give a range between where you think the final temperature should lie? Should any of the iron blocks lose heat or gain heat?

Use this to think about the signs.

Likes Delta2
doggydan42 said:
What do you think should happen, can you give a range between where you think the final temperature should lie? Should any of the iron blocks lose heat or gain heat?

Use this to think about the signs.
ya i think i got it ==> m(x-10) = 2m(25-x) because heat gained = heat lost

Likes Delta2
Moderator's note: Thread title changed to make it more descriptive of the question being asked.

dwight_v said:
ya i think i got it ==> m(x-10) = 2m(25-x) because heat gained = heat lost

I know you figure it out, but I'm going to caution you here because you're making some ad hoc decisions to fit the answer, especially when you reverse the sequence of (25 - x) in your second term.

Follow this rule: ΔT always means Tf - Ti. All you need to do is to write the specific heat equation in just one way:

Q = mc ΔT

In this case, Q = mc(Tf - 10C) + 2mc(Tf - 25C). --- (1)

Now, the simplification here is that (i) Q = 0, since there is no heat loss anywhere, and (ii) c is the same for both. So that equation simplifies to

Tf - 10C + 2Tf - 50C = 0

This gives

3 Tf = 60 C

Thus,

Tf = 20 C.

I did not have to "think" which one loses or gains heat. All I did was set up equation (1), and then I follow the mathematical rule. If I want to know which one gained or lose energy, all I have to do is use the value of Tf that I got, and then look at which of the term in Eq. 1 is positive (heat gained) and which one is negative (heat loss).

The key thing here is that question like this is a TRAP in terms of jumbling up the SIGNS. If you keep the whole equation only to one side of the equation, keeping only "Q" on the other side, you'll never go wrong and you'll never have to insert the sign by hand.

Zz.

What is the final temperature when two blocks of iron are placed in contact?

The final temperature when two blocks of iron are placed in contact will depend on the initial temperatures of the blocks and their masses. It will also depend on the thermal conductivity of the blocks and the surrounding environment. Generally, the final temperature will be somewhere between the initial temperatures of the two blocks.

How can the final temperature be calculated?

The final temperature can be calculated using the principle of heat transfer. This involves using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the block, c is the specific heat capacity of iron, and ΔT is the change in temperature. By equating the heat transferred from one block to the heat absorbed by the other block, the final temperature can be determined.

What factors can affect the final temperature?

The final temperature can be affected by several factors, including the initial temperatures of the blocks, their masses, the thermal conductivity of the blocks, and the surrounding environment. Other factors such as the surface area and shape of the blocks can also have an impact on the final temperature.

Can the final temperature be changed by altering the initial temperatures of the blocks?

Yes, the final temperature can be changed by altering the initial temperatures of the blocks. If one block has a significantly higher initial temperature than the other, the final temperature will be closer to the initial temperature of the hotter block. On the other hand, if the initial temperatures of the two blocks are close, the final temperature will also be closer to their average.

What are the practical applications of understanding the final temperature for two blocks of iron in contact?

Understanding the final temperature for two blocks of iron in contact is crucial in various fields, such as engineering, metallurgy, and thermodynamics. It allows engineers to design better thermal systems and ensure efficient heat transfer. It also helps in the production of high-quality metals and in predicting the behavior of materials under different thermal conditions.