Calculating integrals using residue & cauchy & changing plan

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of complex numbers and the residue theorem to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. The example given involves using the substitution z = e^{i\theta} to rewrite the integral in terms of complex numbers. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the poles and residues for the integrand, as well as using identities to simplify the expression. Finally, it is mentioned that the calculus of residues may not be applicable in this case, as the integrand has no poles.
zhillyz

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \dfrac{d\theta}{3+tan^2\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint_C f(z) = 2\pi i \cdot R[/tex]
[tex]R(z_{0}) = \lim_{z\to z_{0}}(z-z_{0})f(z)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a similar example that had the form
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \dfrac{d\theta}{5+4cos\theta}[/tex]

where I would change to the complex plane [itex]z[/itex] where [itex]z = e^{i\theta}[/itex] and so [itex] dz = ie^{i\theta}d\theta \to d\theta = \dfrac{e^{-i\theta}dz}{i} [/itex]

The cosine function could also be written in terms of the exponential function as such;

[tex] e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta)+isin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]e^{-i\theta} = cos(\theta)-isin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\therefore cos(\theta) = \dfrac{1}{2}\left[e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}\right] = \dfrac{1}{2}\left[z + \dfrac{1}{z}\right][/tex]
after you substitute all these back into the formula it gives a denominator that can be factorised to give poles which you can find the residual values for and then calculate the integral using the residue theorem. I get kind of lost though trying to describe [itex] tan^2(\theta)[/itex] in the same way.

[tex] tan^2(\theta) = sec^2(\theta) - 1 = \dfrac{sin^2(\theta)}{cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]
[tex] sin^2(\theta) + cos^2(\theta) = 1[/tex]

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think the calculus of residues will be of any help here (the integrand has no poles). Some observations:
  • [itex]1+\tan^{2}\theta=\frac{1}{\cos^{2}\theta} [/itex]
  • [itex]\cos(2\theta)=2\cos^{2}\theta-1 [/itex], so [itex] \cos^{2}\theta=\frac{1+\cos2\theta}{2}[/itex]

Svein said:
I do not think the calculus of residues will be of any help here (the integrand has no poles).
I think you did something wrong. There are three poles inside the unit circle.

zhillyz said:
I get kind of lost though trying to describe [itex] tan^2(\theta)[/itex] in the same way.
You can show that
$$\sin \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}}{2i} = \frac{z-\frac 1z}{2i},$$ so
$$\tan \theta = \frac 1i \frac{e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}}{e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}} = \frac 1i \frac{z^2-1}{z^2+1}.$$ Then it's just a matter of doing the algebra.

1. What is the Residue Theorem and how is it used to calculate integrals?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to compute integrals of complex functions over closed curves. It states that the integral of a complex function over a closed curve is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function at its isolated singularities inside the curve. This allows us to avoid having to evaluate difficult integrals and instead focus on finding the residues and using them to calculate the final result.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula related to calculating integrals using residues?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that the value of a complex function inside a closed curve is equal to the average value of the function on the curve. This formula is closely related to the Residue Theorem, as it allows us to express the residues of a function in terms of its values on the curve. This makes it a useful tool for calculating integrals using residues.

3. What is the process for finding residues of a complex function?

To find the residues of a complex function, we first need to identify its isolated singularities, which are points where the function is not defined or where it is infinite. Then, we use techniques such as the Laurent series expansion or the Cauchy-Riemann equations to express the function as a sum of its principal part and its residue at each singularity. Finally, we can use the Residue Theorem to calculate the integral of the function over a closed curve.

4. Can we use the Residue Theorem to calculate integrals over non-closed curves?

No, the Residue Theorem only applies to integrals over closed curves. However, we can use a technique called the Cauchy Principal Value to extend the use of the Residue Theorem to some non-closed curves. This involves taking limits as the curve approaches a singularity and using the Residue Theorem to calculate the integral over the resulting closed curve.

5. How can we change the contour of integration to simplify the calculation of an integral using residues?

In some cases, we can change the contour of integration to avoid singularities or make the integral easier to evaluate. This can involve deforming the contour, adding or removing singularities, or using symmetry to simplify the calculation. It is important to ensure that the new contour still encloses all the singularities and does not change the value of the integral.