Calculating Internal Resistance: Methods A and B

In summary: So Rx*Ii is the voltage between Q and P. Apply Ohm's Law and get Rx.In summary, to calculate the internal resistance of V & A using methods A & B, you need to calculate the equivalent resistance of the parallel and series circuits formed by the internal resistances of the voltmeter and ammeter. Then, by applying Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's Law, you can find the internal resistance of the battery.
Adriano25

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the internal resistance of V & A based on methods A & B below:

Method A

1.png

Voltmeter = 1.46 V
Ammeter = 0.24 A
E (emf of battery) = 1.48 V

Method B
2.png

Voltmeter = 1.48 V
Ammeter = 0.24 A

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: V = I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

For method A, the current of the ammeter (II) splits into Iv (current of voltmeter) and IRX (current of unknown resistor). Also there will be an unknown resistance of voltmeter (RV) and an unknown resistance of ammeter (RI).
I found a relationship using Kirchhoff's current law:
II = IV + IRX
Then, I tried to use Kirchhoff's voltage law through both loops, but I'm ending up with too many unknowns. Am I going on the right path?

Also, I'm not sure if I could find the unknown Rx by just using Ohm's Law:
Method A:
Rx = V / I
Rx = 1.46 V / 0.24 A = 6.08 Ω

Method B:
Rx = V / I
Rx = 1.48 V / 0.24 A = 6.17 Ω

Physics news on Phys.org
Adriano25 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the internal resistance of V & A based on methods A & B below:

Method A

View attachment 113855
Voltmeter = 1.46 V
Ammeter = 0.24 A

Method B
View attachment 113856
Voltmeter = 1.48 V
Ammeter = 0.24 A

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: V = I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

For method A, the current of the ammeter (II) splits into Iv (current of voltmeter) and IRX (current of unknown resistor). Also there will be an unknown resistance of voltmeter (RV) and an unknown resistance of ammeter (RI).
I found a relationship using Kirchhoff's current law:
II = IV + IRX
Then, I tried to use Kirchhoff's voltage law through both loops, but I'm ending up with too many unknowns. Am I going on the right path?

Also, I'm not sure if I could find the unknown Rx by just using Ohm's Law:
Method A:
Rx = V / I
Rx = 1.46 V / 0.24 A = 6.08 Ω

Method B:
Rx = V / I
Rx = 1.48 V / 0.24 A = 6.17 Ω
No, your simple method is not correct. You have to calculate with the internal resistances, Rv and Ri. Include them into the drawings, Rv parallel with the voltmeter and Ri in series with the ammeter.

upload_2017-2-28_8-4-9.png

From method 1, would that mean that I can find an equivalent resistance from Rv and Rx using the parallel circuit formula?
Also, from method 2, I could find an equivalent resistance from Ri and Rx using the series circuit formula?
I'm still not sure how that would help me in solving the problem.

Adriano25 said:
From method 1, would that mean that I can find an equivalent resistance from Rv and Rx using the parallel circuit formula?
Also, from method 2, I could find an equivalent resistance from Ri and Rx using the series circuit formula?
I'm still not sure how that would help me in solving the problem.
Yes.
In case A, the voltage difference E-Uv falls on the internal resistance of the ammeter. You know also the current flowing through Ri, so you can calculate it. In case B, you know the voltage across Rx+Rv, and you also know the current. Apply Ohm's Law to get Rx+Ri. But you know Ri already...

ehild said:
Yes.
In case A, the voltage difference E-Uv falls on the internal resistance of the ammeter. You know also the current flowing through Ri, so you can calculate it. In case B, you know the voltage across Rx+Rv, and you also know the current. Apply Ohm's Law to get Rx+Ri. But you know Ri already...

I'm sorry, I don't follow you. Could you please reexplain it? Thank you.

Adriano25 said:
I'm sorry, I don't follow you. Could you please reexplain it? Thank you.
What is that you do not understand?
Look at the figure A. The meters are replaced by ideal ones, together with the internal resistances. The EMF of the (ideal) battery is 1.48 V, and the voltmeter reads 1.46 V. What is the potential difference between P and O?

upload_2017-3-1_5-33-15.png

ehild said:
What is that you do not understand?
Look at the figure A. The meters are replaced by ideal ones, together with the internal resistances. The EMF of the (ideal) battery is 1.48 V, and the voltmeter reads 1.46 V. What is the potential difference between P and O?

View attachment 113908
The potential difference between P and O would be V = Ii * Ri

Adriano25 said:
The potential difference between P and O would be V = Ii * Ri
Yes, and what is the numerical value?

ehild said:
Yes, and what is the numerical value?
But we don't know Ri.
I was thinking that since Rx and Rv are in parallel, they share the same voltage, so V1 = 1.46.
Then, using Kirchhoff's voltage law:
-V1 * Ii - Ri * Ii + E = 0
so, Ri = 4.7 Ω ?

Adriano25 said:
But we don't know Ri.
I was thinking that since Rx and Rv are in parallel, they share the same voltage, so V1 = 1.46.
Then, using Kirchhoff's voltage law:
-V1 * Ii - Ri * Ii + E = 0
so, Ri = 4.7 Ω ?
V1*Ii is not voltage, you can not add it to voltages.

Ups..
-Rx*Ii - Ri * Ii + E = 0
Ri = 0.04 Ω

Adriano25 said:
Ups..
-Rx*Ii - Ri * Ii + E = 0
Ri = 0.04 Ω
No. Rx and Ri are not in series, they have different currents.
You know the KVL. The voltages add in a loop. The voltage between Q and P is shown by the voltmeter, it is 1.46 V. The voltage between Q and O is the same as the emf of the battery. What is the numerical value of the voltage between P and O?

Then it would just be the difference between QO and QP, so the voltage between P and O would be 0.02 V?

Adriano25 said:
Then it would just be the difference between QO and QP, so the voltage between P and O would be 0.02 V?
YES!

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance refers to the resistance present inside a power source, such as a battery or generator, which opposes the flow of current. It is caused by the physical characteristics of the materials used to construct the power source.

2. Why is it important to know the internal resistance of a power source?

Knowing the internal resistance of a power source is crucial for understanding its performance and efficiency. It can help determine the maximum current that the power source can deliver and how much of the energy is lost as heat due to the internal resistance. This information is important for designing circuits and selecting appropriate power sources.

3. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance is typically measured by connecting a known external resistor in series with the power source and measuring the resulting voltage drop across the resistor. By using Ohm's law (V=IR), the internal resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage drop by the current flowing through the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a power source?

The internal resistance of a power source can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of materials used in the construction, the temperature of the power source, and the age and condition of the power source. Higher temperatures and older power sources tend to have higher internal resistance.

5. Can the internal resistance of a power source change over time?

Yes, the internal resistance of a power source can change over time. This is often seen in aging batteries, where the internal resistance increases as the battery degrades. Changes in temperature can also impact the internal resistance of a power source. Regularly measuring and monitoring the internal resistance can help track any changes and determine when a power source needs to be replaced.