EMF and internal resistance laboratory work

In summary, the conversation discusses a laboratory work in which the speaker had to find power and internal resistance using an ordinary battery in a closed circuit. They share their results and calculations, including the use of a voltmeter and ammeter, and express confusion about how to write a hypothesis and conclusion. They consider relating the results to Ohm's law and ask for suggestions and clarification on their calculations and terminology.
isorounded
1. The problem statement
I did a laboratory work in which I had to find power and internal resistance. I used an ordinary battery so it's closed circuit. I did all tasks except writing a hypothesis and conclusion I can't really think of it. I don't know what to write since I just measure using voltmeter and ammeter and then calculate Electric power and internal resistance. Can someone suggest anything pls?

Homework Equations

C2_AF40_B9_E1_E0_4_CA0_B9_EB_87_D9_F6_BA7_B21.jpg

img_0865-jpg.jpg
img_0864-jpg.jpg
99_F93698_0_EF6_4_FD4_BFD7_DF53_AE1369_DA.jpg

E - [/B]emf, electromotive force r - internal resistance ap - calculated
U - voltage I - current

The Attempt at a Solution

Well from ammeter and voltmeter I got that Uap= 2V, Iap= 1,5 A and Eap= 4V. Then I calculated rap (rap=1,33 ohms). I found delta u(△u=+-0,25) , delta I (△I=+-0,03) and I know that electromotive force error is almost same as voltage error because power supply's resistance is usually low so R≥r and △E = △u = +-0.25 V. I found Er what led me to finding △r. △r = rap+Er = 1,33 * 0.27= 0.3591 ohms. Now I am bit confused we the results I got E = 4 +- 0.25 V and r = 1.33 +- 0,3591 ohms, please let me know if I did it wrong. Now the main thing I struggle with is writing hypothesis and conclusion. I was thinking to relate given formulas with ohm's law and formula but not sure if it's good. So can someone help me to write hypothesis and conclusion or atleast give me some ideas. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iso,

isorounded said:
I used an ordinary battery
isorounded said:
because power supply's resistance is usually low
So when did you use the one and when the other ?
I can follow your 1.33 Ohm calculation, but after that I am lost in your story. What do the ##\Delta## stand for ?
You write that you did all tasks (which is good), but I have hard time guessing what all these tasks were.

Likes isorounded
First of all, thank you for a response. You probably would have guessed that english is not my native language so that might be a part of the reason why you don't understand me :D And that my laboratory work is described in my native language, it doesn't make it easier, but I will try to explain as much as I can. I have used one power supply which was battery. Here is a picture of circuit
CF5_E8_B35_FC88_4272_9591_61_D0_F2726537.jpg

Now Δ stands for "error" if that makes sense.

Also I will try to translate laboratory tasks step by step and it's really simple so I hope you will understand atleast this one :D

Firsly what did I use for this work: battery, voltmeter, ammeter, toggle, connecting wires.

1. Measure electromotive force of power supply(a battery's in my case).

2. Mark ammeter's and voltmeter's results when a toggle is on. Calculate rap(there is a formula above). Calculate power supply's resistance and electromotive force absolute and relative error.

3. Write down r and electromotive force results:
99_f93698_0_ef6_4_fd4_bfd7_df53_ae1369_da-jpg.jpg

And I'm pretty sure that I did all calculations right but I just can't think of hyphotesis and conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also was thinking to relate with ohm's law because r=E-U/I is derived from E=U+Ir

OK, so under 1. you have measured a voltage of 4 V ?
Then, under 2, you press the switch and measure 2 V and 1.5 A ?

And the hypothesis is that the battery can be represented by a circuit consisting of an ideal voltage source in series with an internal resistance. And the calculated internal resistance that would then follow is (4 V - 2 V ) / 1.5 A = 1.33 ##\Omega## according to
img_0864-jpg-jpg.jpg
So I don't understand the subscripts ap on the righthand side: I should think they stand for 'measured' (as under points 1 and 2), not for 'calculated' ; can you explain ?

Then:
I have the faint suspicion that ##\varepsilon_r## in
img_0865-jpg-jpg.jpg
stands for the relative error in the calculated internal resistance of 1.33 ##\Omega##. For your purposes that relative error (or inaccuracy, if you want) is the sum of the relative errors in the numerator and in the denominator. To estimate a value, you need the accuracy of the voltmeter and the accuracy of the current meter. Do you have those ? Are they provided on the instruments or given by teacher ?

1. What is EMF and internal resistance?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the maximum potential difference that a power source can provide. Internal resistance refers to the resistance within the power source that limits the flow of current.

2. Why is it important to study EMF and internal resistance in a laboratory?

Studying EMF and internal resistance in a laboratory setting allows for controlled experiments and accurate measurements, which can help in understanding the behavior and limitations of power sources. It also allows for the comparison of different power sources and their efficiency.

3. How is EMF and internal resistance measured in a laboratory?

EMF can be measured using a voltmeter, by connecting the positive and negative terminals of the power source to the voltmeter. Internal resistance can be calculated by measuring the current and voltage of the power source, and using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

4. What factors can affect the EMF and internal resistance of a power source?

The material and construction of the power source, temperature, and the age of the power source can all affect its EMF and internal resistance. Additionally, the type of load connected to the power source can also impact its behavior.

5. How can the knowledge of EMF and internal resistance be applied in real-life situations?

Understanding EMF and internal resistance can help in the design and development of more efficient power sources for various applications, such as batteries for electronic devices or power plants for large-scale electricity production. It can also aid in troubleshooting and maintenance of power sources in industries and homes.