How to Calculate Invariant Mass for Negligible Particle Mass?

In summary: So, in summary, the equation states that the energy of a system is approximately equal to the sum of the energies of its individual particles.
tnibbz
Homework Statement
A 2 GeV electron is incident on a proton with rest mass mpc^2 = .938 GeV at rest. Calculate the invariant mass of the electron proton pair in the center of mass, neglect the mass of the electron.
Relevant Equations
E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4
E = K + E0
So I know that since we are ignoring the mass of the electron, and the proton starts at rest, the proton has no KE and the electron has no rest energy.

So the initial total energy of the system would be

rest energy of proton + KE of electron = 2GeV + .938GeV = 2.938 GeV

and since energy is conserved this would also be the total energy of the final state as well correct?

Now with the equation
E2 = p2*c2 + m2*c4

I can subsitute in 2.938GeV for E, however from here I get confused, because I need both the resulting velocity of the system and the mass.

Or is the mass of the system in this case just the mass of the proton because we are neglecting the mass of electron? But in that case would the invariant mass of the system just be the mass of the proton?

Physics news on Phys.org
tnibbz said:
Homework Statement:: A 2 GeV electron is incident on a proton with rest mass mpc^2 = .938 GeV at rest. Calculate the invariant mass of the electron proton pair in the center of mass, neglect the mass of the electron.
Homework Equations:: E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4
E = K + E0

because I need both the resulting velocity of the system and the mass.
Why would you need the velocity? There is no velocity in that equation.

well doesn't p=ϒmv?

That is irrelevant. You already know p.

Oh because the momentum is conserved? So the final momentum p would be equal to the initial momentum of the system, since the proton was at rest and the electron is essentially massless is the momentum 0? So I would just plug in the E I found earlier and 0 into the equation

E2 = p2*c2 + m2*c4
and solve for m?

That the electron is massless does not mean momentum is zero. What is the momentum of a massless particle?

well if it is not zero than it cannot be p= ϒmv. Could we treat it like a photon and use E=pc?

tnibbz said:
Could we treat it like a photon and use E=pc?
##E^2 = (pc)^2 + m^2c^4## is true for all systems. If you just consider a massless particle, you get ##E=pc## so this is true for any massless particle. In general, ##E^2 = (pc)^2 + m^2c^4## is a much more useful relation than ##p = m\gamma v##.

Likes PeroK
Okay that makes sense, I did not realize that was where the E = pc formula was derived from, for some reason I thought it only held for photons. I believe I can solve the problem from here, thank you for all your help.

tnibbz said:
Okay that makes sense, I did not realize that was where the E = pc formula was derived from, for some reason I thought it only held for photons. I believe I can solve the problem from here, thank you for all your help.

If ##E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4##, then for a particle whose mass can be neglected, compared to its energy, we have:

##E^2 \approx p^2c^2##

That equation only hold exactly for massless particles. But, it is also a sufficient approximation for particles with small mass.

1. What is invariant mass and why is it important in science?

Invariant mass is a concept in physics that refers to the mass of an object or system of objects in a specific reference frame. It is important in science because it is a fundamental property that remains the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference, making it a useful tool in understanding and describing physical phenomena.

2. How is invariant mass calculated?

Invariant mass is calculated using the equation E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4, where E is the total energy of the system, p is the momentum, c is the speed of light, and m is the rest mass of the object.

3. What is the difference between invariant mass and rest mass?

Invariant mass and rest mass are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Rest mass refers to the mass of an object when it is at rest, while invariant mass takes into account the object's energy and momentum, even when it is moving.

4. Can invariant mass be negative?

No, invariant mass cannot be negative. The equation used to calculate it only produces a positive value or zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating invariant mass?

Calculating invariant mass is used in a variety of fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is used to study the properties of subatomic particles, analyze the energy and mass of celestial objects, and understand the dynamics of the universe.