Calculating Iout & Output Resistance of BJT-MOSFET Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating and graphing Iout as a function of Vc2, and calculating the output resistance for a specific value of Vc2. The components involved are BJTs and a MOSFET, all operating in forward active mode and at the same temperature. The input current and threshold voltage are also mentioned. The main question is about the meaning of VDD, with some speculation about whether it is a typo and should be VA instead. The consensus is that VDD represents the biasing voltage source for the amplifier.
etf
Hi!
Here is my task:
a) Calculate and sketch Iout=f(Vc2), for 0<Vc2<1.5V. (neglect Early effect)
b) calculate output resistance for Vc2=Vc1.
BJT's Q1 and Q2 are in forward active mode, have identical characteristics and same temperature. MOSFET M3 is in saturation. Iin=10μA, Vt=25mV, Vc1=1.25V, VA=50V.

vdd.jpg

My question is, what does VDD represent? There are few examples in my book where VDD is connected to some current source like this...

Physics news on Phys.org
VDD will be a +ve DC supply voltage. Your text refers to VA =50V. My guess is this is a typo and VDD is meant to be VA?

I don't think so. VA is Early voltage.

Generally with questions like this VDD is the biasing voltage source that puts the amplifer into the active region. My prof always used VCC for it :)

Likes 1 person
etf said:
I don't think so. VA is Early voltage.

I think you're right.

The actual value of VDD isn't really important in this circuit as there is a current source in series.

Likes 1 person
In real life that current source will be a transistor network. It it frequently represented as a current source to simplify analysis.

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating Iout & Output Resistance of BJT-MOSFET Circuit

1. How do I calculate the output current (Iout) of a BJT-MOSFET circuit?

The output current, or Iout, of a BJT-MOSFET circuit can be calculated using the following formula:
Iout = (β x Ib) + (gm x Vgs).
Where β is the BJT current gain, Ib is the base current, gm is the MOSFET transconductance, and Vgs is the gate-source voltage.

2. What is the significance of calculating the output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit?

The output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit is an important parameter as it determines the load regulation and stability of the circuit. It also helps in understanding the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit.

3. How do I calculate the output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit?

The output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit can be calculated by taking the inverse of the slope of the output characteristic curve at a specific point. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in output current.

4. What are the factors that affect the output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit?

The output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit is affected by several factors such as the channel length of the MOSFET, the operating voltage, the biasing conditions, and the load resistance. In addition, parasitic resistances and capacitances also play a role in determining the output resistance.

5. How can the output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit be improved?

The output resistance of a BJT-MOSFET circuit can be improved by using a larger channel length for the MOSFET, optimizing the biasing conditions, and using a smaller load resistance. Additionally, the use of active load techniques, such as a cascode or current mirror, can also help in improving the output resistance.