Calculating Load with Magnetometer for Synchronous Motor

In summary, a magnetic field sensor can be used to detect or determine the load on a synchronous servo motor.
Hala Helmi
Looking for any insight on a formula that can be used to calculate the load using a magnetometer sensor for synchronous motor

Engineering news on Phys.org
Synchronous motor load is proportional to the angle between the rotor poles and the rotating magnetic field in the stator. Angle can also be expressed as phase difference.

If you had a compass needle mounted on the outer perimeter of the rotor by at the pole, out would point in the direction of the rotor angle. So it it's the direction of that magnetic field, not the magnitude.

Likes Lnewqban
Many thanks anorlunda,
Is the increase in the load will affect the magnetic field ?
if it is possible can you help me to write the formula

Last edited:
Where is your magnetometer mounted?
Can it measure direction?

If you can measure the rotor angle ##\theta##, the equation for power will then be ##P=P_{max}\sin\theta##.

Where ##P_{max}## is a constant dependent on the details of the grid and the load and the wiring and the voltages.

Likes Lnewqban
anorlunda said:
Where is your magnetometer mounted?
Can it measure direction?
yes, it can measure the direction

anorlunda said:
Synchronous motor load is proportional to the angle between the rotor poles and the rotating magnetic field in the stator. Angle can also be expressed as phase difference.

If you had a compass needle mounted on the outer perimeter of the rotor by at the pole, out would point in the direction of the rotor angle. So it it's the direction of that magnetic field, not the magnitude.
Hi @anorlunda, I just want to check if I have a synchronous servo motor is this will make any difference

It applies to all kinds of synchronous motors.

But there is a lot of engineering needed to measure that angle with a magnetometer. But in principle it is possible.

But why not measure voltage and current to estimate load. Those are much easier to deal with IMO.

DaveE said:
But why not measure voltage and current to estimate load. Those are much easier to deal with IMO.
Because I want to use a magnetic field sensor to get the load, I'm unable to determine the voltage or current in this case.

I want to ask about If I have accumulator sensor can It be used to detect or determine and calculate the load

1. How does a magnetometer calculate load for a synchronous motor?

A magnetometer measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. In a synchronous motor, the rotor is magnetized and the stator produces a magnetic field. By measuring the changes in the magnetic field, the magnetometer can calculate the load on the motor.

2. What are the benefits of using a magnetometer to calculate load for a synchronous motor?

Using a magnetometer allows for accurate and real-time measurement of the load on a synchronous motor. This information can be used to optimize motor performance and prevent overloading, which can lead to damage and downtime.

3. Are there any limitations to using a magnetometer for load calculation?

While magnetometers are effective for measuring load on synchronous motors, they may not be suitable for all types of motors. Additionally, external magnetic fields or interference can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

4. How often should load be calculated using a magnetometer for a synchronous motor?

The frequency of load calculation will depend on the specific motor and its usage. In general, it is recommended to calculate load at regular intervals, such as daily or weekly, to ensure optimal motor performance.

5. Can a magnetometer be used for load calculation on other types of motors?

While magnetometers are commonly used for load calculation on synchronous motors, they can also be used for other types of motors that have a magnetic field, such as induction motors. However, the specific method of calculation may vary depending on the motor type.