Maximum detectable distance between magnet and magnetometer

In summary, The speaker has a single-component magnetometer with a resolution of 60nT and is trying to calculate the maximum distance at which it can detect an N52 magnet with a volume of 1 cm³. They used a formula and inserted the values to calculate the answer. They also mention that they intended to solve the problem in the simplest way and that the magnetometer is perpendicular to the magnet plate. They ask if they have chosen the correct formula and if there is another solution. The speaker also provides a link to a magnetic field calculator but it is unclear where the equation came from.
siavosh1
Hi Dear,
I have a single-component (Z-Axis) magnetometer with 60nT resolution.
I want to calculate the maximum distance that this magnetometer can detect an N52 magnet with a volume of 1 cm³.
So I used the following formula and inserted the values, and finally calculated the Z:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/blockequation-png.257032/
Br = 1.47 T (for Magnet N52)
B= 60 nT (magnetometer resolution)
L=W=D=10mm
Z=?
My answer => Z= 1.579 m
Keep in mind that I intended to solve this problem in the simplest possible way; the angle of view of the magnetometer is perpendicular to the magnet plate.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/blockmagnet-png.257033/
My question is whether I have chosen the right formula? or do you suggest another solution for it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Where did you get that block equation from ?

Does anyone have any idea about this?

There is no reference with the calculator to the source of the equation linked.
The formula is of a different form to that normally given for a bar magnet.
It may be correct. It may simply be a different numerical approximation.
Google; magnetic field due to bar magnet on axial line

Likes siavosh1
It's important to recognize that the magnetic force varies in inverse proportion to the cube of the distance.

1. What is the maximum detectable distance between a magnet and a magnetometer?

The maximum detectable distance between a magnet and a magnetometer depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the sensitivity of the magnetometer, and the surrounding environment. In general, the maximum distance is typically between a few millimeters to a few centimeters.

2. How does the strength of the magnet affect the maximum detectable distance?

The stronger the magnet, the greater the magnetic field it produces, which can be detected by a magnetometer from a greater distance. However, if the magnet is too strong, it can saturate the magnetometer and decrease its sensitivity, resulting in a shorter maximum detectable distance.

3. Can the maximum detectable distance vary for different types of magnetometers?

Yes, different types of magnetometers have varying levels of sensitivity and can detect magnetic fields from different distances. For example, a fluxgate magnetometer may have a longer maximum detectable distance compared to a Hall effect magnetometer.

4. How does the surrounding environment affect the maximum detectable distance?

The surrounding environment can impact the maximum detectable distance between a magnet and a magnetometer. For instance, if there are other magnetic materials or sources nearby, they may interfere with the magnetometer's readings and decrease the maximum detectable distance.

5. Is there a way to increase the maximum detectable distance between a magnet and a magnetometer?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the maximum detectable distance. One way is to use a more sensitive magnetometer with a higher resolution. Another way is to use shielding materials to reduce interference from the surrounding environment. Additionally, increasing the strength of the magnet can also increase the maximum detectable distance, as long as it does not saturate the magnetometer.