Synchronous Speed to Shaft Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of shaft speed at various points on a standard induction motor torque vs. synchronous speed diagram. The synchronous speed is 1500 rpm at 95% synchronous speed, and the motor experiences 5% slip at full-load. The equation nshaft = nsynch*(100-%slip) can be used to calculate the shaft speed at full-load, but the slip changes with the amount of torque/synchronous speed. One method to calculate the shaft speeds is through numeric methods or using circle diagrams.
Sirsh
Hi All

I have a standard induction motor torque vs. synchronous speed diagram and I want to calculate the shaft-speed at any point along the curve (from 0% synchronous speed to 100% synchronous speed). I know that the synchronous speed is 1500 rpm at 95% synchronous speed (which is also at full-load), at full-load the induction motor experiences 5% slip.

Now, I know that the equation nshaft = nsynch*(100-%slip) will give me the shaft speed at full-load, but I also know that the slip changes as per the amount of torque/synchronous speed.

At 0% synchronous speed there is 100% slip and at 100% synchronous speed there is 0% slip.

Is there any method to how you can calculate the shaft speeds on the information I've presented? 1500rpm synch speed and 5% slip at full-load.

02473.png

Thank you for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
Is there any method to how you can calculate the shaft speeds
Yes, I think you can calculate it, at least by numeric methods ( computer simulation ).

You may find an approximate result, using circle diagrams.

Try to Google:
circle diagram of induction motor

What is synchronous speed?

Synchronous speed is the rotational speed at which the rotor of a synchronous motor rotates when subjected to a constant supply of alternating current.

How is synchronous speed calculated?

The formula for calculating synchronous speed is: synchronous speed = 120 x frequency / number of poles.

What is shaft speed?

Shaft speed, also known as rotor speed, is the actual speed at which the rotor of a motor or generator is spinning.

How is shaft speed related to synchronous speed?

Shaft speed is directly related to synchronous speed and is typically slightly lower due to factors such as mechanical losses and load on the motor.

Why is synchronous speed important?

Synchronous speed is important because it determines the speed at which the motor will run and has an impact on its efficiency and performance.