Calculating Lottery Probability for Drawing a Specific Number

In summary, the conversation discussed the probability of a number being drawn in a random number game, specifically in the context of a lottery. The expected frequency of each ball was given as 200 over 1400 draws, and the goal was to calculate the probability of a ball being drawn 170 or 230 times rather than the expected 200. The solution involves using the Poisson distribution and the binomial distribution depending on the number of trials and the desired outcome. The conversation also touches on the differences between the two distributions and their applicability to this problem. Ultimately, the correct solution is not reached and further discussion and clarification is needed.
Gregg

Homework Statement

In a random number game, the lottery, I need to know the probability of a number being drawn over a number of draws.

Each ball of has a chance of 1 in 7 of being drawn in a draw. If the expected frequency of each ball is 200 (over 1400 draws) I need to know how to work out the probability of a ball being drawn 170 or 230 times rather than the expected 200.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can think of is using the normal distribution but I can't see how to use it here. I have no s.d. also this is a discrete random variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want is called a Poisson distribution, You can look it up on Wikipedia. It is:
[tex]P(N0,N)=\frac{N0^N e^{-N0}}{N!}[/tex]
Where N0 is the expected number, and N is the number you want the probability of. For the numbers you gave, both probablilities are ~0.3%. Remember this is just the probability of getting exactly 170. If you want the probability of getting <170, then you need to add up all of the probabilities for N<=170.

Why is it Poisson distribution as opposed to other distributions?

The Poisson distribution governs probabilities of events which are discretely distributed - meaning here that a number can be drawn 200 times or 201 times, but not 200.3748 times - and assumes that the events are independent of one another. Continuous variables (for example the distribution of height of a large number of people) tend to follow Gaussian distributions. As to why - Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up on how the Poisson distribution arises.

So the probability of a ball being drawn less than the mean will be 0.5. For 49 balls the probability will be greater than 1?

You know the probability of a ball being drawn in a trial and the number of trials, so you should be looking at the binomial distribution.

So the probability at first is found with Poisson, then you use binomial with that probability?

No. You don't need the Poisson distribution at all. (I don't think it really applies to this problem anyway.)

Actually, in this case, if you know the number of trials, I think Vela is right, the binomial distribution is more appropriate. The Poisson distribution is the limit of the binomial distribution as the number of trials gets large. For the numbers in your original question, the difference between the two is pretty small.

OK well the probability of a ball being drawn 177 times out of 1494.

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{7}\right)^x \left(\frac{6}{7}\right)^{1494-x} \left(
\begin{array}{c}
1494 \\
x
\end{array}
\right)=0.000702881[/tex]
with x=177.

If there are 49 balls then the probability is 49(0.000702881) isn't it?

To find the probability of the frequency of a ball being 213 or less we have

[tex] \sum _{x=0}^{213} \left(\frac{1}{7}\right)^x \left(\frac{6}{7}\right)^{1494-x} \left(
\begin{array}{c}
1494 \\
x
\end{array}
\right) = 0.5 [/tex]

If I want to find the probability that any of the 49 balls a drawn 213 or less times, then 49*0.5 is larger than 1?

So is the first part wrong?

Gregg said:
OK well the probability of a ball being drawn 177 times out of 1494.

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{7}\right)^x \left(\frac{6}{7}\right)^{1494-x} \left(
\begin{array}{c}
1494 \\
x
\end{array}
\right)=0.000702881[/tex]
with x=177.

If there are 49 balls then the probability is 49(0.000702881) isn't it?
No. The events aren't disjoint. For example, just because ball 1 appears 177 times doesn't mean that ball 2 doesn't also appear 177 times. You can only sum probabilities of events if the events are disjoint.

To find the probability of the frequency of a ball being 213 or less we have

[tex] \sum _{x=0}^{213} \left(\frac{1}{7}\right)^x \left(\frac{6}{7}\right)^{1494-x} \left(
\begin{array}{c}
1494 \\
x
\end{array}
\right) = 0.5 [/tex]

If I want to find the probability that any of the 49 balls a drawn 213 or less times, then 49*0.5 is larger than 1?

So is the first part wrong?

So how do I find the probability that any of the 49 balls will be drawn less than a certain amount of times?

[tex] \sum _{n=0}^{177} \left(\frac{1}{7}\right)^n\left(\frac{6}{7}\right)^{1494-n}\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1494 \\
n
\end{array}
\right)=0.00331939 [/tex]

[tex]
(0.00331939)^1(1-0.00331939)^{49-1}\left(
\begin{array}{c}
49 \\
\end{array}
\right)=0.1386573[/tex]

Is this correct?

I don't think it is, still no answer.

1. What is the probability of winning the lottery?

The probability of winning the lottery depends on the specific lottery game. Generally, the probability is very low, often less than 1 in a million. It also depends on the number of people who play the lottery and the number of possible number combinations.

2. How do you calculate the probability of winning the lottery?

The probability of winning the lottery can be calculated by dividing the number of possible winning number combinations by the total number of possible number combinations. For example, if there are 10 numbers to choose from and you need to match all 5 numbers to win, the probability would be 1 in 252, using the formula (10 choose 5) = 252.

3. What are the odds of winning the lottery?

The odds of winning the lottery are the same as the probability. It is the ratio of the number of possible winning outcomes to the number of total outcomes. For example, if there are 100 possible outcomes and only 1 is a winning outcome, the odds are 1:99 or 1 in 99.

4. Is there a way to increase your chances of winning the lottery?

There is no surefire way to increase your chances of winning the lottery. The numbers are drawn randomly, so every number combination has an equal chance of being drawn. However, you can increase your chances slightly by purchasing more tickets or joining a lottery pool with friends.

5. What are the chances of winning the lottery multiple times?

The chances of winning the lottery multiple times are extremely low. Each drawing is independent of the previous ones, so the probability of winning remains the same each time. It is possible to win multiple times, but it is highly unlikely.