Calculating Magnetic Field from Two Perpendicular Currents

In summary, for this problem, you can find the magnetic field from each wire separately using the equation B = uo*I/(2*pi*r). Then, using vector addition, you can find the total magnetic field at the point (1.4,1.3)m by adding the two magnetic fields together, taking into account their directions. The right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field vectors.
blackbyron

Homework Statement

Wire #1 carries a current of 8.0A along the +x-axis. Wire #2 has a current of 6.1A along the +y-axis. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the point (1.4,1.3)m

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if Long straight conductor will be the right formula to solve for magnetic field.

B = uo*I/(2*pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I spend an hour trying to solve this basic problem. I kept reading the textbook, reading my teachers notes, but doesn't seem helpful. They only show an example of one wire, but not two wires.
So then I found the r by using the Pythagorean theorem.
I understand that the current isn't the vector. but how am I suppose to solve the magnetic field if there are two currents, but both are perpendicular?

Thanks,

Byron

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the magnetic field that you would get from just one of the wires. Then do the same thing for the other wire.
Paying attention to the direction of each magnetic field you calculate, you then simply add them using vector addition. Remember that the two magnetic fields are vectors; don't simply add their values unless they happen to point in the same direction.

Hope that helps.

Redbelly98 said:
First find the magnetic field that you would get from just one of the wires. Then do the same thing for the other wire.
Paying attention to the direction of each magnetic field you calculate, you then simply add them using vector addition. Remember that the two magnetic fields are vectors; don't simply add their values unless they happen to point in the same direction.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply,

yes I think I did that, though, but somehow I did

B= B * i(hat) + B* j(hat)

Is that right, because I'm getting one wrong. I think I'm not understand this.

We still need to figure out the direction of the magnetic field vectors (it's not in the i-hat or j-hat directions.) Have you been taught about the right hand rule for straight wires? Here is a figure:

magneticfielcurrentwire.png

You can read more details at the following link; scroll down to the section titled Right-Hand Rule #2:
http://physicsed.buffalostate.edu/SeatExpts/resource/rhr/rhr.htm

Thanks for your reply,
Yes I did learn the right hand rule, and I mostly understood them. But I think I understand how to do it since my friend helped me. But thanks for the link. I'll look into it for future use.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field from Two Perpendicular Currents

1. What are basic magnetic sources?

Basic magnetic sources refer to the fundamental elements or materials that produce magnetic fields. These sources include permanent magnets, electromagnets, and current-carrying wires.

2. How do permanent magnets create a magnetic field?

Permanent magnets are made of materials with naturally occurring magnetic properties, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. These materials have aligned atomic dipoles, which create a magnetic field that extends from the north pole to the south pole of the magnet.

3. How are electromagnets different from permanent magnets?

Electromagnets are made by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field that can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity. In contrast, permanent magnets have a constant magnetic field that cannot be easily controlled.

4. What is the relationship between electric current and magnetic fields?

Electric currents produce magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which are fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields are used in a variety of everyday applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic storage devices like hard drives. They are also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in compasses for navigation.