Calculating Mass of Dry Wood in Buoyancy Problem

• Thread starter sakebu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, we are given the mass of a pig (1158kg) and the volume of a raft (3.40 m^3) submerged in water, with the density of water being 1000 kg/m^3. Using the equation for buoyant force, we can determine the mass of the raft's dry wood by equating it to the weight of the pig and raft. However, we are missing the density of the wood, which is needed to solve the problem.
sakebu

Homework Statement

A pig of mass (1158kg) is placed on a fart made of dry wood. The raft completely submerged in water so that the raft's top surface was just level with the surface of the lake. If the raft's volume was 3.40 m^3, what was the mass of the raft's dry wood? Density of water is 1000 kg/m^3

Homework Equations

m' = (p2 - p1)V
p = density
V = Volume

Buoyant Force
B = pfluid(g)Vobj

Gravity
mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin with this. The only density I am given is of water not of the wood.

Physics news on Phys.org
Buoyant force = weight of pig and raft

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of dry wood in a buoyancy problem?

The formula for calculating the mass of dry wood in a buoyancy problem is: Mass of Wood = Density of Water x Volume of Water Displaced

2. What is the density of water used in this calculation?

The density of water used in this calculation is typically 1000 kg/m^3, but this value may vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature and salinity.

3. How do I find the volume of water displaced by the wood?

The volume of water displaced by the wood can be found by measuring the dimensions of the submerged portion of the wood and using the formula for the volume of a rectangular prism: Volume = Length x Width x Height.

4. Can the mass of dry wood be negative in this calculation?

No, the mass of dry wood cannot be negative in this calculation. If the result of the calculation is negative, it means that the wood is not displacing enough water to float and is therefore not buoyant.

5. How do I know if my calculation is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculation, you can double check your measurements and make sure they are as precise as possible. You can also compare your result to the actual mass of the wood, if available, or perform the calculation multiple times to see if you get consistent results.