Calculating Mass of Stars in a Binary System

In summary, the conversation discusses a binary star system with two equal mass stars separated by 340 million kilometers and taking 5.0 Earth years to orbit around a point between them. The mass of each star is calculated using the formula mass=4pi^2(radius)^3/(Gravitational Force(#of years*seconds per year)^2). However, there is confusion about the value of the radius, which is actually the distance between the two stars, not half of it.
chazgurl4life
Q:
Suppose that a binary star system consists of two stars of equal mass. They are observed to be separated by 340 million kilometers and take 5.0 Earth years to orbit about a point midway between them. What is the mass of each?
I figured out that:
mass=4pi^2(radius)^2/Gravitational Force(#of years)*(distance)2
m= [4(3.14)^2(3.3x10^29)^3]/[(6.67x10^-11){(8.0 years)(3.4x10^7}^2] =3.33x10^29 then (3.33x10^29)/2 = 1.7x10^29

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
chazgurl4life said:
Q:
mass=4pi^2(radius)^2/Gravitational Force(#of years)*(distance)2

Maybe an algebra mistake in getting to this point. Should be:
mass=4pi^2(radius)^3/(Gravitational Force(#of years*seconds per year)^2)

How did you know your answer was wrong? It's very close to correct. Does the back of the book give the answer?

Last edited:
so if i reply this equation it comes out as:
m=4pi^2(3.3x10^29)^3/6.67e-11(5yearsx 3.155815296E7 sec per yr)^2

is that right? or am i using the wrong radius? isn't the radius half the distance between the two stars? if that's true than the radius id 170 million, isn't it? I am so confused!

Last edited:
Where did you get 3.3 x 10^29. They give you the distance of 340,000,000 million kilometers. This becomes your a or radius (3.4 x 10^11 meters)

It's not half the distance between the 2 stars since. Pretend 1 star is still, and the other orbits it. It will trace an orbit whose diameter is twice the distance between the 2 stars. Therefore, the distance between the 2 stars becomes the radius, or semi-major axis in this problem.

Related to Calculating Mass of Stars in a Binary System

1. How do you calculate the mass of stars in a binary system?

The mass of stars in a binary system can be calculated using the binary mass function, which takes into account the orbital period, the distance between the stars, and the observed radial velocity of the stars. This formula is:
M1+M2 = (4π^2a^3)/(GP^2), where M1 and M2 are the masses of the two stars, a is the distance between them, G is the gravitational constant, and P is the orbital period.

2. What is the significance of calculating the mass of stars in a binary system?

Calculating the mass of stars in a binary system is important for understanding the dynamics of the system and for determining the evolutionary stage of the stars. It also provides important information about the physical properties of the stars, such as their size, luminosity, and composition.

3. Can the mass of stars in a binary system change over time?

Yes, the mass of stars in a binary system can change over time through various processes such as mass transfer, when one star loses material to the other, or through stellar evolution, where the stars change in mass as they age and burn through their fuel.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the mass of stars in a binary system?

There are some limitations to calculating the mass of stars in a binary system, as it relies on accurate measurements of the orbital period and radial velocity, which can be affected by factors such as observational errors and external gravitational influences from other objects in the system.

5. How does the mass of stars in a binary system affect their evolution?

The mass of stars in a binary system plays a crucial role in their evolution. Higher mass stars will evolve faster and go through different stages of fusion, while lower mass stars will have longer lifetimes and go through different evolutionary paths. In a binary system, the interaction between the stars can also affect their evolution and lead to phenomena such as mass transfer and merging.