Calculating Maximum Speed on Bike Curve: Centripetal Force

In summary, if the motorcycle wants to stay in a straight line, it needs to turn at an angle that cancels out the torque of gravity (about the point of contact of the wheel with the road).
guardians
1. What is the maximum speed with which a bike can move at a curve, and on which angle from the vertical should he turn, so that he doesn't fall off the road, if the coefficient of friction is 0,4 and the radius of the curve is 100m?

Now, I easily calculated the maximum speed by equating the centripetal force and the force of friction, but I don't understand what exactly is meant by an angle. Could someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the relation between banking angle & velocity?

To be honest, since English is not my native language, I don't even know what a banking angle is :blushing: Is it important in this case? Is that the angle that the problem asks for? Further information is appreciated.

You got the first part of your problem right. :smile:
i.e. [tex]\mu mg = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

The banking angle refers to the angle of incline and it is the angle the problem is asking for. It can be calculated by taking the ratio of the horizontal component to the vertical component. You are very close to the answer.

Well, I think the formula for vmax should be (according to what I think you mean):
v^2=Rg(sinA+kcosA)/(cosA-ksinA), where A is the desired angle, and k is the coefficient of friction. But, according to these calculations, the wanted angle in my calculations is about 80,5 degrees, and my textbook says it should be 22 degrees. Could you compare these to your results? Is there any other possible meaning for the wanted angle?

guardians said:
Well, I think the formula for vmax should be (according to what I think you mean):
v^2=Rg(sinA+kcosA)/(cosA-ksinA), where A is the desired angle, and k is the coefficient of friction. But, according to these calculations, the wanted angle in my calculations is about 80,5 degrees, and my textbook says it should be 22 degrees. Could you compare these to your results? Is there any other possible meaning for the wanted angle?

Hi guardians! :smile:

The principle you need is that the motorcycle will only balance at a fixed angle if the torque about the wheel is zero (if it isn't zero, the motorcycle will rotate left or right until it hits the road :cry:).

So the torque of gravity (about the point of contact of the wheel with the road) must be equal to the torque of the centripetal acceleration. :smile:

Friction is not involved (because the friction goes through the point of contact, so its torque is zero).

So is this line of thought right:

If the inclination is [tex]\varphi[/tex], then the Ffriction=m*g*sin[tex]\varphi[/tex], i.e. k*m*g*cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]=m*g*sin[tex]\varphi[/tex], so [tex]\varphi[/tex]=atan(k)
?

This should help for understanding the basics right:

http://www.powerset.com/explore/semhtml/Banked_turn?query=motion+on+banked+road

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Maximum Speed on Bike Curve: Centripetal Force

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep an object moving in a curved path.

2. How is centripetal force related to maximum speed on a bike curve?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the maximum speed on a bike curve. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the maximum speed that can be achieved on a bike curve.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force on a bike curve?

The centripetal force on a bike curve can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve.

4. What factors affect the maximum speed on a bike curve?

The maximum speed on a bike curve is affected by the radius of the curve, the mass of the rider and the bike, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the ground. Other factors such as air resistance and the angle of the curve may also have an impact.

5. How can the maximum speed on a bike curve be increased?

The maximum speed on a bike curve can be increased by decreasing the radius of the curve, increasing the centripetal force by pedaling faster or leaning into the curve, and reducing factors such as air resistance and the coefficient of friction. However, it is important to always prioritize safety and ride within your skill level.