Calculating Maximum Static Friction: A Physics Lab Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment in which a wooden block was slid on a flat piece of wood with a pulley and a hook attached to it. The total mass of the block was 0.543kg and the mass of the hanger used to move it was 0.170kg. The force applied to the block was 5.32N and the weight of the hanger was 1.67N. The question asked was to calculate the maximum static friction, and the individual tried various equations, including F=ma, to solve it. However, there were some misunderstandings about the units and the correct use of the equations.
xmflea
This is from my physics lab.what we did was have a wooden block slide on a longer piece of wood that was laid flat on the table. the end of the wood had a pulley hanging over the edge of the table.hanging from the pulley was a hook and we had to see how much weight would get the wooden block to move.
the total mass of the wood block was 0.543kg, the mass of the hanger used to move the wood was 0.170kg. the force of the mass is 5.32N, while the weight Wh of the hanger is 1.67
the question asks me to calculate the maximum static friction Usmax (mu s max)

i tried u=F/N. i tried 0.543/5.32, i tried (0.543+0.170)/(5.32+1.67), i then tried multiplying instead of dividing

equations...The lab tells me to use F=ma to figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
xmflea said:
the total mass of the wood block was 0.543kg, the mass of the hanger used to move the wood was 0.170kg. the force of the mass is 5.32N, while the weight Wh of the hanger is 1.67
the question asks me to calculate the maximum static friction Usmax (mu s max)

i tried u=F/N. i tried 0.543/5.32, i tried (0.543+0.170)/(5.32+1.67), i then tried multiplying instead of dividing …

Hi xmflea! :smile:

(btw, you can either use kg, or N, but not both)

erm … F is for the hanger, N is for the block.

Try again! :smile:

sorry,im not really sure what you're trying to tell me with your response.

xmflea said:
sorry,im not really sure what you're trying to tell me with your response.

Your 0.543/5.32 was the block mass over the block weight. :smile:

1. What is maximum static friction?

Maximum static friction is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move. This force is dependent on the weight of the object and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is on.

2. How is maximum static friction different from kinetic friction?

Maximum static friction occurs when the object is at rest and the force applied to it is not enough to overcome the frictional force. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when the object is in motion and the frictional force is opposing its movement.

3. How is the coefficient of friction related to maximum static friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surface is in contact with the object. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more force is needed to overcome it, resulting in a higher maximum static friction.

4. Can the maximum static friction be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the maximum static friction can be greater than the weight of the object if the coefficient of friction is high enough. This means that the object will not move even when a force greater than its weight is applied to it.

5. How can maximum static friction be calculated or measured?

Maximum static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the weight of the object. It can also be measured experimentally by gradually increasing the applied force until the object just begins to move.