Calculating Mean Curvature of a Scalar Field | Homework Solution

In summary, you have made a mistake in calculating the gradient of the scalar field H and this has caused you to get an incorrect answer.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

Consider the scalar field φ=x2+y2-z2-1. Let H be the scalar field defined by
H = -0.5∇.(∇φ/ abs(∇φ)), where abs(∇φ) is the magnitude of ∇φ. Which makes that some sort of unit quantity. When H is evaluated for φ=0 it is the mean curvature of the level surface φ=0.
Calculate H. Write your answer as a function of z only.
Hint: Work in Cartesian coordinates x, y, z throughout the whole of part (c) and make sure that that you work out all of the derivatives before imposing the constraint Φ = 0. You will find it useful to use the abbreviation r = √(x2+y2+z2. I didn't use any of this, so I'm doing it wrong!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got (∇φ/ abs(∇φ)) to be 1/√3 x i + 1/√3 y j +1/√3 z k where i, j and k are unit vectors. From this, ∇.(∇φ/ abs(∇φ))=1/√3. This is clearly wrong, wolfram alpha disagrees, I didn't use r, I don't know how to impose the constraint and I think it's something pretty fundamental that I'm missing! I have looked at examples online but they really haven't helped at all!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have made some serious mistake in calculating ##\nabla\phi/|\nabla\phi|## cause the result you give doesn't have magnitude 1. From what i can see, it is something like ## \frac{x}{r} i+ \frac{y}{r} j- \frac{z}{r} k##.

To impose the constraint use that ##\phi=0\rightarrow x^2+y^2=z^2+1## to eliminate x and y in the expression you ll calculate for H.

Delta² said:
You have made some serious mistake in calculating ##\nabla\phi/|\nabla\phi|## cause the result you give doesn't have magnitude 1. From what i can see, it is something like ## \frac{x}{r} i+ \frac{y}{r} j- \frac{z}{r} k##.

To impose the constraint use that ##\phi=0\rightarrow x^2+y^2=z^2+1## to eliminate x and y in the expression you ll calculate for H.
Perfect person for the question, love the name :D I think I seriously misunderstood our lecture, because I thought ∇φ was obtained by ∂φ/∂x i + ∂φ/dy j + ∂φ/dz k? Which would make ∇φ = 2x i + 2y j -2z k. Actually, maybe my magnitude was wrong! Should it be 2√(x2+y2+z2)?

yes that should be the correct magnitude. and yes i love that you love my name, it is inspired by the laplacian operator :D.

I got to an answer! Can't believe I didn't see that mistake, the magnitude was clearly meant to be 1. Thank you! :) Vector calculus, not one of my strengths!

What is a Laplacian calculation?

A Laplacian calculation is a mathematical operation that is used to determine the second derivative of a function at a specific point. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze changes in a system or to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

Why is a Laplacian calculation important?

A Laplacian calculation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to study the rate of change of a system or function. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system and help in making predictions or optimizing performance.

What is the formula for calculating the Laplacian?

The formula for calculating the Laplacian is ∇²f = ∂²f/∂x² + ∂²f/∂y² + ∂²f/∂z², where ∇² is the Laplacian operator and f is the function being evaluated.

What are some real-world applications of Laplacian calculations?

Laplacian calculations have a wide range of real-world applications, including image and signal processing, fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in computer vision, medical imaging, and financial modeling.

What are the limitations of Laplacian calculations?

One limitation of Laplacian calculations is that they assume the function being evaluated is continuous and differentiable. This may not always be the case in real-world situations, which can lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, Laplacian calculations can be computationally intensive and may require specialized software or hardware to perform efficiently.