Calculating Minimum Ball Speed for Safe Passage through Rotating Windmill Blades

In summary, at a mini golf course, a golf ball must have a minimum speed in order to not be hit by the next blade of a windmill with 8 blades rotating at an angular speed of 1.25 rad/s. The opening between successive blades is equal to the width of a blade, which is 4.5 cm. To determine the minimum speed, we can use the time it takes the golf ball to travel 4.5 cm at a given speed and compare it to the time the opening is available for the ball to pass through.
mini_mia
Hi! I'm not sure where to start on this question and I would be very thankful if somebody could help me on it:

At a mini golf course, a golf ball passes through a windmill. The windmill has 8 blades and rotates at an angular speed of 1.25 rad/s. The opening between successive blades is equal to the width of a blade. A golf ball of diameter 4.50 x 10^-2 m is just passing by one of the rotating blades. What must the minimum speed of the ball be so it won't be hit by the next blade?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: How long does it take the golf ball to travel 4.5 cm at a given speed?

Hint 2: How long is the opening available for the ball to pass through?

Thank you guys for trying to help me! Now I'm going to attempt to do it. :D

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the motion and dynamics of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinematics?

The main difference between linear and rotational kinematics is that linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular path.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or moves in a circular path. It is usually represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

4. How do you calculate rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the Greek letter alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

5. What is the relationship between linear and rotational motion?

The relationship between linear and rotational motion is described by the concept of torque. Torque is the force that causes rotational motion and is directly proportional to the distance from the center of rotation and the force applied. This means that the greater the force and the farther away it is from the center of rotation, the greater the torque and the faster the rotational motion.