Calculating Modulus of Elasticity for a Bending Beam with Simple Equation

In summary, a simple bending beam is a commonly used structural element in engineering and construction that is subjected to a bending force. The bending moment of a simple bending beam is calculated using the formula M = P * L, and there are different types of supports including fixed, roller, and pinned. The material of the beam affects its strength as different materials have varying properties. The maximum bending stress in a simple bending beam occurs at the point of maximum deflection and is calculated using the formula σ = My/I.
Iclaudius
Hello friends,

so i have this problem:

A beam under test has a measured radius of curvature of 300 m. The bending moment applied to it is 8 Nm. The second moment of area is 8000 mm4. Calculate the modulus of elasticity for the material.

ok so using the engineers bending equation i have,

(M/I)*R = E

using the values stated above i get 300 Pa, answer however is 300 GPa - am i missing something simple? or is this a typo?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check your units. You proably made a mistake converting mm4 into m4.

The book's answer is right.

1. What is a simple bending beam?

A simple bending beam is a structural element that is commonly used in engineering and construction. It is a long, straight beam that is subjected to a bending force, causing it to bend or deform.

2. How is the bending moment of a simple bending beam calculated?

The bending moment of a simple bending beam can be calculated using the formula M = P * L, where M is the bending moment, P is the force applied to the beam, and L is the length of the beam.

3. What are the different types of supports for a simple bending beam?

The different types of supports for a simple bending beam include fixed support, roller support, and pinned support. Fixed support prevents both rotation and translation of the beam, roller support allows rotation but not translation, and pinned support allows rotation and translation.

4. How does the material of the beam affect its strength?

The material of the beam plays a significant role in its strength. Different materials have different properties such as stiffness, elasticity, and yield strength, which determine the maximum amount of force the beam can withstand before failing.

5. What is the maximum bending stress in a simple bending beam?

The maximum bending stress in a simple bending beam occurs at the point of maximum deflection, which is typically at the center of the beam. The formula for calculating bending stress is σ = My/I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam.