Calculating net torque on a plate

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving finding the net torque on a square plate. They understand how to get part b from part a, but are stuck on how to get the answer in part a. They realise that the radius should be 1/2 of the side length, and that the forces acting on the corners should have negative torque values. They try several different methods, but are unsuccessful.
tdashrom

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to be finding the net torque on a square plate. The sides are 1.7 m in length, with a force acting on each corner (30 N top left pointed right, 60 N top right pointed down, 20 N bottom left pointed up, and 40 N bottom right at an angle of 37 degrees). Just for simplicity I have included the picture of the question, and WebAssign has given the answer.

ecnRzIM.png

Homework Equations

τ=Frsin(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get part b from the solution in part a. However, I'm completely stuck on how the answer in part a is reached.

The radius in this case should be 1/2 of the side length, so 0.85 m. The 20, 30, and 60 N forces should all have negative torque values because they are turning clockwise, and the 40 N force will be positive. I have tried -.85*(20+30+60)+(40*sin(37)*.85), which does not give the correct answer. If you multiply the three CW forces by sin(45) you get -45.6, which while close is not accepted by the system. I've reworked this 10 times multiple different ways, but still to no avail. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Always double check whether it should be sin or cos.

Btw, the question should make clear it is the torque about the plate's centre that is required. Since there is a net linear force, the torque depends on the axis.

You have assumed that the force of 40N @ 37° is resolved into only one component which produces a torque around the center of the plate. Is this what really happens?

SteamKing said:
You have assumed that the force of 40N @ 37° is resolved into only one component which produces a torque around the center of the plate. Is this what really happens?
Yes, that's a better response, thankyou.

SteamKing said:

haruspex said:
Yes, that's a better response, thankyou.

Got it, thanks!

1. How do you calculate net torque on a plate?

To calculate the net torque on a plate, you first need to determine the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied. Then, multiply the force by the distance to get the torque. Repeat this for all forces acting on the plate and add them together to get the net torque.

2. What is the formula for calculating net torque?

The formula for calculating net torque is: net torque = force x distance. This formula takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the pivot point.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m) in the SI system or foot-pounds (ft·lb) in the English system.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the net torque on a plate?

The direction of the force is an important factor in calculating net torque. If the force is perpendicular to the plate, it will create a maximum torque. If the force is parallel to the plate, it will create no torque.

5. Can you have a negative net torque on a plate?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative net torque on a plate. This would occur if the forces acting on the plate are in opposite directions or if the net torque is in the opposite direction of the rotation.