Calculating Nuclear Binding Energy: Fission of Uranium (A = 238)

In summary, the equation for calculating the binding energy of the Uranium (A = 238) nucleus and its fission into two equal fragments can be simplified by omitting the rest mass terms on both sides of the equation. This does not affect the overall solution to the problem.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

The Uranium (A = 238) nucleus has a binding energy of about 7.6 MeV per nucleon. If the nucleus were to fission into two equal fragments, each would have a kinetic energy of just over 100 MeV. From this, it can be concluded that

A) Uranium (A = 238) cannot fission spontaneously
B) Uranium (A = 238) has a large neutron excess
C) nuclei near A = 120 have masses greater than half that of Uranium (A = 238)
D) nuclei near A = 120 must be bound by about 6.7 MeV/nucleon
E) nuclei near A = 120 must be bound by about 8.5 MeV/nucleon

Homework Equations

conservation of mass-energy:
Binding Energy + rest mass of uranium = rest masses of two equal fragments + 100 MeV for each fragment + Binding energy of each fragment

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the equation I should write is (using approximate values for the mass numbers):

240*-7.6 + Mc^2 = 2mc^2 + 200 MeV + 240*X

X -> the binding energy of the fragments.
Mc^2 -> rest mass of Uranium
2mc^2 -> rest masses of the two equal fragments created

There is a solution to this problem online, however they neglected to include the rest mass terms on both sides of the equation. I'm a little confused as to why. Is that just because this is an approximate calculation and the rest masses will more or less cancel out on each side?

Any clarification there would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your confusion.

Firstly, you are correct in setting up the equation as (using approximate values for the mass numbers):

240*-7.6 + Mc^2 = 2mc^2 + 200 MeV + 240*X

However, the reason the rest mass terms are neglected on both sides of the equation is because they are equal and opposite, and therefore they cancel out. This is because the rest mass of the uranium nucleus is equal to the sum of the rest masses of the two equal fragments created.

In other words, the rest mass terms on both sides of the equation represent the same quantity, so they can be omitted. This does not affect the overall solution to the problem.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Scientist

1. What is fission?

Fission is a nuclear reaction in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, producing a large amount of energy. This process is typically initiated by bombarding the atom with a neutron.

2. How does fission work?

In fission, a neutron collides with the nucleus of a heavy atom, such as uranium or plutonium. This causes the nucleus to become unstable and split into two smaller nuclei, releasing additional neutrons and a large amount of energy.

3. What is the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus into smaller fragments, while nuclear fusion involves the combining of two smaller nuclei into a larger one. Fission releases energy by breaking apart atoms, while fusion releases energy by combining atoms.

4. What are the applications of fission?

Fission is primarily used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity. It is also used in nuclear weapons, research reactors, and in the medical field for cancer treatment.

5. What are the potential risks of fission?

Fission can produce radioactive waste, which can be harmful to humans and the environment if not properly stored and disposed of. It also carries the risk of nuclear accidents, which can have devastating consequences. Additionally, the production of nuclear weapons using fission poses a threat to global security.