Calculating omega as a function of time for a flywheel

In summary, to find ω as a function of time, you can use the equation of motion for the flywheel and solve for ω'(t) using F=ma.
dannyR
hiya all, I've done a experiment which was hanging a mass from a light string wrapped around the axis of a flywheel. The mass was released and the flywheel began to rotate.

during calculations I've found out it would be great to have ω as a function of time and I've been stuck about how to get this.

could I do a force diagram using F=ma?, but then I am unsure of the mass "m".
would I use the mass which is falling and add the moment of inertia of the flywheel or is this very wrong? :(.

or could I use energy stored such as

mgh=1/2Iω2+1/2mr2ω2+K

mgh, loss in potential energy of the falling mass

kinetic energy in the flywheel

kinetic energy in the falling mass

where K would be the frictional force i think it would be proportional to ωr

could i replace h the height the mass has fallen by using the F=ma bit i talked about above then replace h=1/2at2 then solve for t or ω??

ive thought about this a lot and always been stopped by not knowing how to calculate something or use F=ma with moment of inertia stuff could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot Danny

Physics news on Phys.org
:)To answer your question, yes, you can use the equation F=ma to solve for ω as a function of time. You will need to use the equation of motion for the flywheel, which is given by: Iω(t) + mr2ω'(t) = mgh - K, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the hanging mass, r is the radius of the flywheel, g is the gravitational acceleration, h is the height of the hanging mass, and K is the friction force. You can then solve this equation for ω'(t) and integrate it to get ω(t).

1. How do you calculate omega as a function of time for a flywheel?

To calculate omega (angular velocity) as a function of time for a flywheel, you can use the formula: ω = ω0 + αt, where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the significance of calculating omega as a function of time for a flywheel?

Calculating omega as a function of time for a flywheel can help us understand the rotational motion of the flywheel and how it changes over time. It can also be useful in engineering and design applications, such as determining the optimal speed and acceleration for a flywheel to achieve a specific task.

3. How does the mass and radius of a flywheel impact its omega as a function of time?

The mass and radius of a flywheel do not directly impact its omega as a function of time. However, they can affect the flywheel's moment of inertia, which is a factor in the calculation of angular velocity. A larger moment of inertia will result in a slower change in angular velocity over time.

4. Can omega as a function of time be negative for a flywheel?

Yes, omega as a function of time can be negative for a flywheel. This would indicate that the flywheel is rotating in the opposite direction than it was initially. In other words, the flywheel is undergoing deceleration or slowing down.

5. How can omega as a function of time be used to determine the energy of a flywheel?

The kinetic energy of a flywheel can be calculated using the formula: Ek = ½Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. By plugging in the calculated values of omega as a function of time, we can determine the kinetic energy of the flywheel at any given time.