Calculating Peak Amplitude of Water Wave Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating the peak amplitude of a water wave caused by dropping an object into the water. The speaker expresses their interest in understanding this concept and mentions that the density, shape, and size of the object must be considered. They also provide examples of how the entry of an object into the water can affect the resulting wave.
torbenmf
I have now in some time tried to figure out a way to calculate the peak amplitude of a water wave, after starting the wave motion by dropping an object, with a certain weight from a given height, in the water.

I am not in need of the information, but it would be nice to know.
I will hope that you could help me understand this :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to do that, but I do not it's not simple...The density, shape, and size
of the object will have to be taken intio account...For example, imagine a long pipe or rod
dropped...if on end,vertical, very different than if horozontal...or notice the size waves expert divers make...the splash is an indicator of the entry efficiency...

1. What is the peak amplitude of water wave motion?

The peak amplitude of water wave motion is the maximum height or displacement of a wave from its resting position.

2. How is the peak amplitude of water wave motion calculated?

The peak amplitude of water wave motion can be calculated by measuring the distance from the crest (highest point) of the wave to its resting position, or the distance from the trough (lowest point) of the wave to its resting position.

3. What is the unit of measurement for peak amplitude of water wave motion?

The unit of measurement for peak amplitude of water wave motion is meters (m) or any other unit of length.

4. How does the peak amplitude of water wave motion affect the energy of the wave?

The peak amplitude of water wave motion is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. This means that the higher the peak amplitude, the more energy the wave carries.

5. Can the peak amplitude of water wave motion be changed?

Yes, the peak amplitude of water wave motion can be changed by various factors such as wind speed, water depth, and the shape of the shoreline. These factors can alter the height and energy of the wave, thus changing its peak amplitude.