Calculating Period of Torsion Pendulum

In summary, the uniform meter stick is hung at its center from a thin wire. It is twisted and oscillates with a period of 5 seconds. The meter stick is then sawed off to a length of 0.76 meters, rebalanced at its center, and set into oscillation.
rdn98
A uniform meter stick is hung at its center from a thin wire. It is twisted and oscillates with a period of 5 s. The meter stick is then sawed off to a length of 0.76 m, rebalanced at its center, and set into oscillation.

With what period does it now oscillate?

Ok, I know that the period for a torsion pendulum T=2pi*sqrt(I/k)

Where I is moment of inertia
and K is the torsion constant

Two things I am stuck on.
To calculate the moment of inertia => 1/12 ML^2
I need to konw the mass of the rod...unless this mass drops out of the calculations, I don't know what to do

Also, the torsion constant. I do not konw what that is either, unless that too also drops out of my calculations. A little guiadance here greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• stick.gif
    stick.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 979
Physics news on Phys.org
The mass does drop out of the calculations. Use the data point you are given to find k.

You know that

[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{(1/12) ML^2}{k}}[/tex]

is valid when T = 5 and L = 1. You can solve this expression for k. Leave k in terms of M.

Now use the equation to solve for the situation when L = 0.76. M cancels. I get 3.8 seconds.

Check this answer for sanity: 3.8 / 5 is the same ratio as 0.76 / 1. In other words, the period shrinks linearly with a decreasing length of rod. Does this make sense?

1) The period decreases at the rod is made smaller. This is as expected.

2) The period is linear with respect to the length. An inspection of the formula reveals that L is first squared, then its square root is taken. Yes, the period should be linear in L.

The answer makes sense.

- Warren

sorry but, I have the same problem with the same numbers and 3.8 seconds is not the answer according to the computer program that grades the problem.

Also when I solve for K as you stated, K= (T/2pi)^2*(1/12)ML^2
When you insert that back into the original equation T=2pi*sqrt((1/12)ML^2/k)
then the (1/12)ML^2 cancels...which leaves the new period, T, equal to 2pi*sqrt(1/(t^2/4pi^2))
This yields an answer of 7.895, which is also wrong. I don't see what is wrong here, but 3.8 seconds was also not correct. Any additional advice? Thanks!

Related to Calculating Period of Torsion Pendulum

1. What is a torsion pendulum?

A torsion pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a mass suspended by a wire or rod that is able to twist or rotate around its axis. This twisting motion is known as torsion, hence the name.

2. How is the period of a torsion pendulum calculated?

The period, or the time it takes for one complete oscillation, of a torsion pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/k), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the suspended mass, and k is the torsion constant of the wire or rod.

3. What factors affect the period of a torsion pendulum?

The period of a torsion pendulum is affected by the length and diameter of the wire or rod, the mass of the suspended object, and the strength of the restoring force of the wire or rod. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and temperature.

4. How can the period of a torsion pendulum be measured accurately?

The period of a torsion pendulum can be measured accurately by using a stopwatch to time a large number of oscillations and then dividing the total time by the number of oscillations to get an average period. This process can be repeated multiple times and the results can be averaged for more precise measurements.

5. What are some real-life applications of torsion pendulums?

Torsion pendulums are used in various scientific experiments and studies, such as measuring the Earth's rotation, testing the strength of materials, and studying the properties of magnetic fields. They are also commonly used in the design of mechanical clocks and watches.