Calculating Poles and Residues of a Z Transform by Hand

This is a generalization of the simple pole residue formula, because when n=1, ##{d \over dz}((z-p_1)^1 X(z))## evaluated at z=p1 is just (z-p1)X(z).
Evo8

Homework Statement

Consider the following Z tranform
[itex]X(z)=\frac{z^{-1}}{1-2z^{-1}+2z^{-2}}[/itex]

Calculate the poles and resides by hand.

Homework Equations

To find residue at pole p1

[itex](z-p_{1})X(z)z^{k-1}[/itex] Evaluate at [itex]z=p_{1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so I've taken the X(z) and converted to positive power of z by multiplying by z^2/z^2

I get [itex]X(z)=\frac{z}{z^{2}+2z+2}[/itex]
I know there is 1 zero at z=o.

For the poles I've used the quadratic equation on the denominator. I come up with
$$p1=\frac{-2\pm\sqrt{-4}}{2} p2=\frac{-2 \pm\ 2j}{2}$$

simplifys to
$$p1=-1-1j$$
$$p2=-1+1j$$

Ok so I am stuck on finding the residues.

The way I see using the above formula I end up with a 0 in the denominator. I know this incorrect. Am I missing some sort of simplification before i evaluate at z=p?

If I take [itex]z^{2}+2z+2[/itex] and substitute [itex]z=-1-1j[/itex] I get 0.

When I use the equation

[itex](z-p_{1})X(z)z^{k-1}[/itex] Evaluate at [itex]z=p_{1}[/itex]

and substitute z with p1 that first term in the parenthesis = o. (p1-p1)=0.

Should something cancel out before i evaluate z=p1so I don't get the 0 in the numerator or denominator? If so I don't see it. I've played with the numbers and moved them around for a couple of days now and I juts don't see it. It doesn't look complicated to me but it never comes out not 0.

any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Evo8! :smile:

The denominator of X(z) can and should be factorized into (z-p1)(z-p2).
Then by multiplying X(z) with (z-p1) that factor cancels after which you can calculate the residu.

Hi I like Serena!

I guess I don't see how it factors out to that then. This is what I would have assumed should be done. I was just under the impression that the denominator does not factor out that way.

When I take (z-p1)(z-p2) and expand this is what I get
$$z^{2}=p_{2}z-p_{1}+p_{1}p_{2}$$

My expanded set of terms is
$$z^{2}+2z+2$$ or $$1-2z^{-1}+2z^{-2}$$

I will google basic factoring and see if I can't figure out what I am missing here. P.s. If you thought my algebra was already sub par, factoring was my LEAST favorite part of algebra ha!

You solved for the denominator being zero and found p1 and p2.
This means that the denominator factorizes into (z-p1)(z-p2).
The typical verification is by expanding it again and check you get your original denominator.

I'm afraid you did not expand it correctly.
The proper expansion of (z-p1)(z-p2) is ##z^2 -p_1 z -p_2 z + p_1 p_2##.
When you work that out, you should get ##z^{2}+2z+2##.
(Do you?)

Anyway, if you multiply (z-p1) with ##X(z) = {z \over (z-p_1)(z-p_2)}##, you should get ##z \over (z-p_2)##, which is what you need to evaluate.

I must have typed the expansion incorrectly. When I look at what I wrote down I have what you put. I don't even know how I got that = sign up there:confused:. Anyway thanks for pointing that out.

This makes a little more sense now. So I can literally plug my two poles into the (z-p1)(z-p2)? Now where getting somewhere. I knew it had to be something small that I was forgetting.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I will be able to continue without issue!

Oh, the = sign is on the same key as the +, and it's next to the -.
It's a pretty standard typo, it even looks a little bit like a minus sign.
I didn't really think you put the = sign there intentionally. ;)

Ok so after evaluating at expression I am left with this for the residue at p1.
$$
\frac{(-1-1j)(-1-1j)^{k-1}}{(-1-1j)-(-1+1j)}
$$

What is the k? In my book all it says is that there is a dependence on k which is clear here. The example given also uses variable and constants for everything so the result is in terms of k.

Thanks for any hints/help

Looks good!

I think you have the inverse z-tranform there, that is, ##x[k]=\mathcal{Z}^{-1}\{X(z)\}##.

Last edited:
sorry for the delayed response! Thanks so much for your help on this one I like Serena!

Much appreciated as always

I've looked it up.

The "residue" of a simple pole p1 is (z-p1)X(z) evaluated at z=p1.

The inverse z-transform is the sum of both (z-p1)X(z)z^{-k} evaluated at z=p1 and (z-p2)X(z)z^{-k} evaluated at z=p2, yielding x[k].

That looks right to me. I sometimes end up with repeated poles so my p1 and p2 are the same. So for the first term i get a 0 which brings everything down to 0. I always forget to manipulate and cancel out though. This is where I got lost. This example I was able to complete I believe.

Thanks for posting that up!

Thanks for posting that up!
:)

In this example you only have simple poles.
Simple poles (typically) only have one factor (z-p1) in the denominator of X(z).

If you have for instance (z-p1)^2 in the denominator, which is what you seem to refer to, you need a more advanced formula.

Indeed. That is exactly the form that where I used the mixed poles method and got hung up. :)

Okay. ;)As you can see in the wikipedia article, a simple pole has residue:
969f2ce4cb6868464466832c12d79cc6.png

This is what you've been working with.A pole of order n (in your example you would have n=2) has residue:
fc16ae96cdbc7aea1023462e07d19753.png
More specifically, if you have (z-p1)^2 in the denominator, your residue is:
##{d \over dz}((z-p_1)^2 X(z))## evaluated at z=p1.

Related to Calculating Poles and Residues of a Z Transform by Hand

1. What is a Z-Transform and why is it useful?

The Z-Transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a discrete-time signal, such as a sequence of data points, into a function of a complex variable. It is useful because it allows us to analyze and manipulate discrete-time signals in the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and design digital signal processing systems.

2. What are poles and residues in the context of a Z-Transform?

Poles are the points in the complex plane where the Z-Transform function becomes infinite. They represent the natural frequencies of the discrete-time signal and are important in determining the stability and frequency response of the system. Residues, on the other hand, are the coefficients of the terms in the partial fraction expansion of the Z-Transform function. They are used to calculate the inverse Z-Transform and determine the time-domain behavior of the system.

3. How do you calculate the poles and residues of a Z-Transform by hand?

To calculate the poles and residues of a Z-Transform by hand, you can use the residue theorem from complex analysis. This involves finding the roots of the denominator polynomial of the Z-Transform function, which correspond to the poles, and then using the coefficients of the polynomial to calculate the residues. Another method is to use the partial fraction expansion of the Z-Transform function and solve for the residues directly.

4. What is the significance of poles and residues in the analysis of a discrete-time system?

The poles and residues of a discrete-time system are crucial in determining its stability, frequency response, and time-domain behavior. Poles that lie outside the unit circle in the complex plane indicate an unstable system, while poles on the unit circle represent a marginally stable system. The residues help us to determine the magnitude and phase response of the system, which is important in designing and optimizing digital signal processing systems.

5. Are there any software tools available to help with calculating poles and residues of a Z-Transform?

Yes, there are several software tools, such as MATLAB and Mathematica, that have built-in functions for calculating poles and residues of a Z-Transform. These tools are particularly useful for more complex and higher-order systems. However, it is still important to understand the manual calculation process in order to have a better grasp of the underlying principles and concepts.