Calculating Pressure for a Hydraulic Car Lift

In summary, the conversation discusses using a hydraulic car lift in a car service station with pistons of different diameters. The larger diameter piston supports the weight of the car and the problem asks for the pressure required to raise the car. The pressure on the smaller piston is equal to the larger one, so the pressure can be calculated using the rule F/A = mg where g is the force of gravity and the area is equal to pi times the diameter squared over 4. However, it is mentioned that the question may also ask for the force needed, which would not require knowledge of the smaller diameter.
Douna2nd
A car service station uses a hydraulic car lift, the diameter of its pistons are 0.02 m and 0.32 m calculate the pressure required to raise a car of mass 1800 KG
I don't know how to get the area ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Key words: piston, diameter

Area = pi times diameter square over 4?? And I'm going to put the diameter of the larger pistol eh?

The larger diameter piston supports the weight of the car. The problem is asking you how much pressure must be applied to the smaller piston (assuming the smaller and larger pistons are connected hydraulically) to support the weight of the car.

The pressure on the small piston is equal to the pressure of the large piston so I'm going to calculate the pressure of the large piston by the rule F/A force =mg where g is the force of gravity and area = pi diameter square over 4 ?

Douna2nd said:
The pressure on the small piston is equal to the pressure of the large piston so I'm going to calculate the pressure of the large piston by the rule F/A force =mg where g is the force of gravity and area = pi diameter square over 4 ?
Sure, but I note that you don't need to know the smaller diameter for that. I would have expected the question to ask for the force needed. Maybe it asks for that later?

1. What is a hydraulic break problem?

A hydraulic break problem refers to an issue with the braking system in a vehicle where the hydraulic fluid is not properly transferring pressure to the brakes, resulting in reduced or ineffective braking power.

2. How do I know if I have a hydraulic break problem?

There are several signs that may indicate a hydraulic break problem, including a soft or spongy brake pedal, longer stopping distance, a pulsating brake pedal, or a warning light on the dashboard. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to have your brakes checked by a professional mechanic.

3. What causes a hydraulic break problem?

There are several potential causes of a hydraulic break problem, including air in the brake lines, a leak in the system, worn or damaged brake components, or a malfunctioning master cylinder. Regular maintenance and proper use of the brakes can help prevent these issues.

4. How is a hydraulic break problem diagnosed?

A professional mechanic will typically begin by inspecting the brake system for any visible leaks or damage. They may also perform a brake fluid pressure test to determine if there are any issues with the hydraulic system. Additionally, they may use a diagnostic tool to check for any error codes related to the braking system.

5. Can a hydraulic break problem be fixed?

Yes, a hydraulic break problem can be fixed by a professional mechanic. The specific solution will depend on the underlying cause of the problem. In some cases, simply bleeding the brake system and replacing the brake fluid can resolve the issue. In other cases, more extensive repairs may be necessary, such as replacing damaged brake components or the master cylinder.