Calculating Probability of Increasing Dice Rolls

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of rolling a larger number each time a die is rolled three times, as well as the probability of evenly distributing 180 days among 12 months in a draft lottery containing 366 days. The solution involves calculating combinations and considering the number of days in each month. There is also a clarification on the correct formula for calculating probability in a specific scenario.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

A die is rolled three times. What is the probability that you get a larger number each time?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I observed that the total number of possibilities for rolling the three dice is, by the Fundamental Rule: [itex](6)(6)(6) = 6^3 = 216[/itex]. I also thought that the number of increasing 3-sequences from the six values on the die is, by applying n-choose-k, [itex](\frac{6}{3}) =20[/itex] (this isn't really a fraction, but I wasn't sure how to format it properly). Thus, the probability of rolling the desired result is [itex]\frac{20}{216}[/itex]. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. Or you could take the long way and count them:

1-2-3
1-2-4
1-2-5
1-2-6
1-3-4
1-3-5
1-3-6
1-4-5
1-4-6
1-5-6
2-3-4
2-3-5
2-3-6
2-4-5
2-4-6
2-5-6
3-4-5
3-4-6
3-5-6
4-5-6

20 options total

Okay, thanks! I also need some guidance with this problem:

In a draft lottery containing the 366 days of he year (including February 29), what is the probability that the first 180 days drawn are evenly distributed among the 12 months?

So I thought my first step was to calculate [itex]_{366} C _{180} = \frac{366!}{(180!)(366-180)!}[/itex]. This should give me the total number of combinations of days, right?

But how do I then incorporate the part of the question that asks about their distribution across the 12 months?

I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. Does that mean there are an even amount of the 180 drawings in each month?

I think it means to say that, if we select 180 days from the 366 days in the year, what is the probability that we will select 15 days from each of the 12 months (15*12=180)

Well think about the months: 1 month has 29 days, 4 have 30 days, and 7 have 31 days

So you can break it up into parts:

29C15 [itex]\times[/itex] 30C15 [itex]\times[/itex] ... [itex]\times[/itex] 30C15 [itex]\times[/itex] 31C15 [itex]\times[/itex] ... [itex]\times[/itex] 31C15

Each of which should be divided by n-15C15:

366C15, 351C15, 336C15, etcSorry for the multiple edits, I was trying to find the best way to write it.

Last edited:
Hmm. It isn't immediately apparent to me why you divided by [itex]_{n-15} C _{15}[/itex]. Why is that?

Because for the total probability of each month, you have 15 less days to choose from.

You're dividing the number of ways to choose 15 from each month by the number of ways to choose 15 from the total number of days in the year.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/200910661155633904063155450000789.gif

In my first post regarding this problem, I thought it would be a good idea to calculate [itex]_{366} C _{180}[/itex]. I'm stilling thinking that I should be dividing by the total number of possible combinations to get the probability. Does this step come later or not at all?

Well, I see it doesn't come at all from the link you posted.

No.

January: Choose 15 days out of 31 days out of 366
February: Choose 15 days out of 29 days out of 351

And so on. Every month's probability removes 15 possible days from the previous amount out of the total 366. And 15 over 12 months amount to 180 days.

In the link you posted, the answer seems to indicate that the probability that the first 30 draws contain no days from August or September as [itex]\frac {_{305}C_{30}}{_{305}C_{30}}[/itex]. But isn't this just one? How am I supposed to believe that? I find it hard to believe that the event is guaranteed.

Maybe if they had written [itex]\frac {_{305}C_{30}}{_{366}C_{30}}[/itex] instead?

What are the conditions for part (b)? I didn't read them.

The question in my text merely asks "What is the probability that the first 30 days drawn contain none from August or September?" I don't think this can be guaranteed true.

You are correct. It would be the number of ways to choose 30 out of (366 - 30 - 31) days, divided by the total number of ways to choose 30 out of 366 days.

And BTW that picture I found on another website. I did not make that incorrect solution (gotta protect my reputation lol)

Related to Calculating Probability of Increasing Dice Rolls

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number with one die?

The probability of rolling a specific number with one die is 1/6, or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are six possible outcomes (numbers 1-6) and only one of them will result in the desired number.

2. What is the probability of rolling a sum of 7 with two dice?

The probability of rolling a sum of 7 with two dice is 1/6, or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are 36 possible outcomes (6 possible outcomes for the first die and 6 possible outcomes for the second die) and there are 6 ways to get a sum of 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1).

3. How does the number of dice rolled affect the probability of a certain outcome?

The more dice that are rolled, the greater the number of possible outcomes and the lower the probability of a specific outcome. For example, the probability of rolling a sum of 7 with two dice is 1/6, but the probability of rolling a sum of 7 with three dice decreases to 1/12.

4. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from an experiment or real-life situations and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

5. How is probability used in real-world situations?

Probability is used in a variety of real-world situations, such as predicting weather patterns, determining the likelihood of a sports team winning a game, or calculating the risk of a medical treatment. It is also used in gambling and other games of chance.