Calculating Propeller Thrust for Custom-Made Drone

In summary: The equation for force is F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. In summary, the equation for calculating the force needed for a lift off of a drone in a spacecraft with zero gravity is F = ma, where F is the desired force, m is the mass of the drone, and a is the desired acceleration. Other variables that may need to be considered include the shape and size of the propellers, air resistance, and the weight of the object being transported. The specific equation for propeller thrust will depend on the design of the propeller and can be calculated using methods like blade element theory or computational fluid dynamics. There is no general equation for propeller thrust as it can vary depending on the
MarjanESA
I would like to know how does the general equation about propellers thrust look like. How should I calculate the force to be big enough for a lift off? The object (a drone) is located in a spacecraft , which means the gravitational force is 0. Are there more variables that I should concern about? This is about custom made drone, created to lift objects and transport them to some location. Eg. from point A to point B with 1 main, big propeller and two smaller ones on the sides, for turning around, left and right.
PS: I require the logic behind all the equations, how they are derived.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answers to your main question. However part of you statement is confusing. The object is located in a spacecraft . (?) For propellers to work you need a fluid medium. What do you have?

MarjanESA said:
I would like to know how does the general equation about propellers thrust look like.
There is no general one, as propellers can be arbitrarily shaped. You can use numerical methods like blade element theory or computational fluid dynamics or empirical data for a specific propeller.

mathman said:
I don't know the answers to your main question. However part of you statement is confusing. The object is located in a spacecraft . (?) For propellers to work you need a fluid medium. What do you have?
Spacecraft or space station. It isn't really specified. That's the main problem of this challenge. A team had worked on this in the last NASA Space Apps Challenge and they had problem with calculating the force for lift of, moving around the space and carrying some kind of a package. Should it really have a lift off force or there is some other crucial element? This challenge got my attention. It was supposed to be a specified drone used by scientists that work in the ISS.

Inside the space station, unless there is artificial gravity, it would take only a tiny push to get something moving in any direction.

MarjanESA said:
How should I calculate the force to be big enough for a lift off? The object (a drone) is located in a spacecraft , which means the gravitational force is 0

Any force greater than zero will cause it to "lift off".

The force you use will depend on the mass and acceleration you want.

1. How is propeller thrust calculated for a custom-made drone?

Propeller thrust is calculated by determining the amount of air displaced by the propellers and the velocity of the air. This can be calculated using the following formula: Thrust = (Air Density) x (Area of Propeller) x (Velocity of Air)^2.

2. What factors affect the propeller thrust of a custom-made drone?

The factors that affect propeller thrust include the size and shape of the propellers, the number of propellers, the speed of the propellers, and the weight and design of the drone itself.

3. How can I optimize the propeller thrust for my custom-made drone?

To optimize propeller thrust, it is important to choose propellers that are the appropriate size and shape for your drone, and to ensure that they are balanced and properly attached. You can also adjust the angle of the propellers to achieve maximum thrust.

4. Can propeller thrust be increased by using more powerful motors?

Yes, using more powerful motors can increase propeller thrust. However, it is important to consider the weight and design of the drone when choosing motors, as using excessively powerful motors can also cause stability issues.

5. How do I know if my custom-made drone has enough propeller thrust?

To determine if your drone has enough propeller thrust, you can perform test flights and observe the drone's ability to take off, fly, and carry any necessary payloads. You can also use a thrust measuring device to accurately measure the thrust of each propeller and ensure they are all producing enough force.