Marine Propeller Thrust: How Do I Calculate It?

In summary, the thrust needed to move an object through water depends on the speed at which you want to move it, the shape of the object, and a variety of other properties. The required RPM (of the propeller I assume) depends on the size and shape of the blades and how much thrust you want out of it. And yes, the properties of a ship's propeller will be very different from an aircraft's.
Marco97
Hello folks! I hope all of you are having a good day.
Here is my question:
How can I calculate the thrust needed by a marine propeller to move a body of about 120 kg? Also, as long we are talking about marine propeller, our propulsion is in water and not in air, so what about the rpm? Are they different?
Thanks for your answer, I'm working on a school project and I'm having this problem because I didn't really study those arguments yet. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Marco97! Welcome to PF!

Unfortunately we need more information if we are going to help you. The thrust required to move an object through water depends on the speed at which you want to move it, the shape of the object, and a variety of other properties. The required RPM (of the propeller I assume) depends on the size and shape of the blades and how much thrust you want out of it. And yes, the properties of a ship's propeller will be very different from an aircraft's. I can't say I know much about this topic, but if you can provide a bit more information I'm sure someone here can assist you.

Likes Marco97
The actual mass of the body will probably have less effect than the length (very important) and the shape of the hull (I assume it is a boat of some kind - or are you planning self propelled water skiing? lol)
I could start you in the right sort of direction by saying that a boat's propellor behaves very much like a screw, as it passes through the water. The pitch of the propellor (distance advanced per turn in m - as with a normal screw thread) times the number of revs per minute will tell you the speed through the water in m/minute. The force needed times the speed will give you an idea of the actual power needed to achieve this speed. All this ignores slippage and various other factors but it gives a fair idea of what goes on.
People spend Megabucks on getting the right propellor design for their particular engine and their particular hull design. So a few more design requirements would come in handy if we are going to be able to help (point you in the right direction).

Likes Marco97
sophiecentaur said:
The force needed times the speed will give you an idea of the actual power needed ...
The force is also related to prop diameter, so that needs to be taken into account. A boat propeller operates in water that is disturbed by the boat, so that is another factor.

Likes Marco97
I am so thankful for all of your answers, and really sorry to answer just now (few days after the thread was posted, I had my internet cut for a few weeks, needed to change provider).

I was thinking about a small propeller, to be put on a small boat. So I wanted to design one but as far as I am seeing from you answers, I need to answer more questions for my project. I'm so excited to build it!

So, let's switch to another question, what are the factors I should take in account? For the moment I was just thinking about the speed, the mass of the boat (But now I know that the length is more important, thanks :D), the fact that the propeller is in water and not air, and the trusth needed for a certain weight. I have to think wider, don't I?

Thank you again, this forum has such a great community!

1. What is marine propeller thrust?

Marine propeller thrust is the force generated by a rotating propeller that enables a vessel to move through the water. It is the result of the propeller blades pushing against the water and creating a reaction force in the opposite direction.

2. How is marine propeller thrust calculated?

Marine propeller thrust is calculated using the formula T = ρ * n * D^4 * (pitch)^2, where T is the thrust, ρ is the density of the water, n is the rotational speed of the propeller, D is the diameter of the propeller, and pitch is the distance the propeller would move in one rotation if it were moving through a solid medium.

3. What factors affect marine propeller thrust?

The main factors that affect marine propeller thrust include the diameter and pitch of the propeller, the rotational speed, the density and viscosity of the water, and the angle of attack of the propeller blades. Other factors such as the shape and number of blades, and the shape and size of the vessel can also have an impact on thrust.

4. How can marine propeller thrust be increased?

Marine propeller thrust can be increased by increasing the rotational speed of the propeller, increasing the diameter or pitch of the propeller, or by optimizing the shape and angle of the propeller blades. Additionally, using multiple propellers or adding a nozzle to the propeller can also increase thrust.

5. What are some common problems associated with marine propeller thrust?

Some common problems associated with marine propeller thrust include cavitation, which is the formation of air bubbles on the propeller blades, resulting in loss of thrust and potential damage to the propeller. Another issue is propeller-induced vibration, which can cause damage to the propeller shaft and bearings. Additionally, inefficient propeller design or incorrect pitch selection can lead to decreased performance and fuel efficiency.