Wondering how much thrust a drone propeller generates

In summary, the faster the propeller spins, the more force it can create. The rpm of the propeller also affects the force of the airflow it releases.
Nick Nowaczyk
TL;DR Summary
Basically I’m wondering how to calculate how much fast a drone propeller or fan spinning affects the amount of energy that it releases. I can’t find any information and I’m sorry if this is in the wrong spot I’m new to the forums.
I was wondering how fast you would need to spin a drone propeller to lift x amount of force and mostly how the rpm of the propeller affects the force of the airflow it releases. I’m incredibly new to physics in general and you can take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I have no actual device but for a hypothetical the question would be something like:
“I have a fan/drone propeller that is .8m in diameter and the propeller is made of carbon fiber. How fast would it or how many at what speed would it take to release a force of 1000N?”
Again, sorry if I’m going about this all wrong, I’ve never taken a physics course and may have no idea what I’m talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
If you look at the blades of a propeller, you will see they have an airfoil profile like a wing. It is that wing moving through the air that lifts the drone propeller upwards, pulling the drone up by the motor mounts. The air that goes downwards is a reaction to the lift of the blade section.

The lift force will depend on the RPM and the number of blades on the propeller. It will also depend on the blade profile and the twist along the blade. That makes it complicated.

A rotor of 0.8 m diameter will have an area of 0.5 m2.
The rotor disc loading will be 1000 / 0.5 = 2000 N per square meter.
I think that is a bit high, and you may need a bigger prop or less weight. Look for specification data on a similar size drone. Find the rotor diameter and calculate the swept area. Find the total drone weight in kg, then multiply by 9.8 to get the hovering force in newtons. Divide force by area to compute a realistic rotor disc loading. Compare that with your example.

Nick Nowaczyk said:
“I have a fan/drone propeller that is .8m in diameter and the propeller is made of carbon fiber. How fast would it or how many at what speed would it take to release a force of 1000N?”
Estimating the thrust just from propeller geometry and RPM is not a simple computation. One can use numerical methods, but it's much more reliable to look at the datasheets from the propeller, which are based on experimental measurements.

Likes russ_watters
From the other direction, though, is fairly straightforward: force (thrust) is rate of change of momentum of the air. The propeller just accelerates a disk of air. Larger propellers mean lower velocity to generate the same force -- and less power.

Likes Lnewqban
Maybe this document helps, it's a good explainer (unfortunately imperial units...):
https://nar-associates.com/technical-flying/propeller/cruise_propeller_efficiency_screen.pdf

With some good guestimates you can come a long way. But you would need some more details of the propeller, the most important ones are diameter and pitch. You've already mentioned diameter, for most propeller performance data this is also just a scaling parameter. This means you can say something about a 0.5m diameter propeller if you have data of a 1.0m diameter propeller, as long as the propellers are mostly geometrically similar.

But pitch is the other important parameter, you can not scale performance data for that. I don't know what the typical pitch is for the propellers you are talking about. If you have the pitch you need to find a performance curve for a propeller roughly of similar shape but most importantly of similar pitch.

The rest are 'second order' effects (I mean, based on the level of detail you are asking for). Yes, the number of blades is overrated, it hasn't got that much of an influence on the performance... (the difference between 2 and 3 bladed propeller is largest, and diminishes rapidly after that, but by large I mean <10% thrust difference at equal RPM or so)

Nick Nowaczyk said:
I was wondering how fast you would need to spin a drone propeller to lift x amount of force and mostly how the rpm of the propeller affects the force of the airflow it releases.
Welcome, Nick!

The pitch of the propeller is important as well.

Please, see:
https://rcplanes.online/calc_thrust.htm

Likes berkeman

1. How do you measure the thrust of a drone propeller?

The thrust of a drone propeller can be measured using a thrust stand, which consists of a scale and a mounting platform for the propeller. The scale measures the force exerted by the propeller and the mounting platform keeps the propeller in place while it is running. The thrust can also be calculated using the propeller's specifications and the speed of rotation.

2. What factors affect the amount of thrust generated by a drone propeller?

The amount of thrust generated by a drone propeller is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the propeller, the pitch of the blades, and the speed of rotation. Other factors such as air density, temperature, and altitude can also impact the thrust output.

3. How does the thrust of a drone propeller affect its flight?

The thrust of a drone propeller is essential for its flight as it is responsible for lifting the drone off the ground and keeping it in the air. The amount of thrust generated determines the drone's maximum speed, acceleration, and ability to perform maneuvers.

4. Can the thrust of a drone propeller be increased?

Yes, the thrust of a drone propeller can be increased by changing the propeller design, increasing the speed of rotation, or using a more powerful motor. However, it is important to note that increasing the thrust may also increase power consumption and affect the drone's flight time.

5. How does the thrust of a drone propeller compare to that of a traditional aircraft propeller?

The thrust generated by a drone propeller is typically much lower than that of a traditional aircraft propeller. This is because drones are smaller and lighter, and therefore do not require as much thrust to achieve flight. Additionally, drone propellers are designed to produce more lift than forward thrust, unlike aircraft propellers which are primarily designed for forward propulsion.