Calculating R with Beta in a Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem where the goal is to find the value of R given certain values for I and beta. The attempted solution involves using the voltage and current values to calculate R, but there is confusion about the role of beta and how it affects the solution. The conversation also touches on the concept of symmetry in the circuit.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I have this circuit
upload_2017-10-7_19-46-30.png

Where I have to find R given that I=2mA, and Beta =200

Homework Equations

Ic=Beta Ib
Ie = Ic+Ib

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have thought that the voltage Vb would be -9.3V, since we have Vbe = 0.7 and at the bottom we are given -10V. Then I would just use this voltage along with the ground, and the current I is also the current going through the resistor (since it is a current mirror) and then find R=4.65kohm. But then, the second question is how would R change is beta is 100.

I don't see what role Beta plays. Maybe I am just tired, this is a really basic circuit. I don't see the point in finding Ib with beta and Ic. We could then find Ie, but I also don't see how this helps. I just don't know how to use this beta.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Where would the base current come from if the currents on both sides would be identical?

mfb said:
Where would the base current come from if the currents on both sides would be identical?
upload_2017-10-7_20-0-2.png

Where I drew the red. So does that mean the current in the branch that connects B and C in the transistor in the left is 0 or ?

That's where it goes into the transistor, but where does it come from?
Can you see how this breaks the symmetry?

Likes Cocoleia

1. What is R and Beta in a circuit?

R and Beta are two important parameters used in circuit analysis. R, or resistance, is a measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of electric current. Beta, also known as the hFE or current gain, is a measure of the amplification ability of a transistor.

2. How do you calculate R with Beta in a circuit?

The formula for calculating R with Beta is R = (Vcc - Vce) / (Ic / Beta), where Vcc is the supply voltage, Vce is the voltage drop across the transistor, Ic is the collector current, and Beta is the transistor's current gain. This formula is used when the transistor is operating in its linear region.

3. Why is it important to calculate R with Beta in a circuit?

Calculating R with Beta is important in determining the operating point of a transistor, which affects its performance and stability. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits to ensure proper functioning.

4. What are some factors that affect the accuracy of R and Beta calculations?

The accuracy of R and Beta calculations can be affected by factors such as temperature, variations in component values, and non-linear behavior of components. It is important to consider these factors and make appropriate adjustments in the calculations for more accurate results.

5. Can R and Beta be calculated for all types of circuits?

Yes, R and Beta can be calculated for most types of circuits as long as the components used can be modeled as resistors and transistors. However, in some special cases, such as in high-frequency circuits, more complex models may be required for accurate calculations.