Max Collector Current in Transistor Circuits

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the max collector current using the equations Ic=BIb and V=IR. There is confusion about finding the max possible collector current without the source voltage and if Vce should be equal to Vce(sat) in saturation mode. The correct calculation for Icmax is (10V-0.2V)/1000ohms = 9.8mA.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Calculate the max collector current.

Homework Equations

Ic=BIb
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to find the max collector current. Don't I need the source voltage to find my Ib and then use that to find my Ic? Is there another way of finding Ic_max? Also, are B,C,D done correctly? I feel like D is wrong because of the huge voltage. (sorry about the bad scan. Had to use phone)
New Doc 12_1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
a. it says max POSSIBLE collector current. how high can Vce go?
b. & c. OK
d. can Ic exceed 10V/1K?

rude man said:
a. it says max POSSIBLE collector current. how high can Vce go?
b. & c. OK
d. can Ic exceed 10V/1K?
Just noticed the 2A error in my calculation for D. Should be 8V for Vce. And for A I'm not sure. I think the max possible collector current would happen in saturation mode. So does that mean Vce=Vce(sat)? So Vce would be 0.2V?

Marcin H said:
Just noticed the 2A error in my calculation for D. Should be 8V for Vce. And for A I'm not sure. I think the max possible collector current would happen in saturation mode. So does that mean Vce=Vce(sat)? So Vce would be 0.2V?
Icmax=(10V-0.2V)/1000ohms = 9.8mA. Never mind. Got it :)

Related to Max Collector Current in Transistor Circuits

What is the definition of "Max Collector Current"?

The "Max Collector Current" refers to the maximum amount of current that can flow through the collector terminal of a transistor in a circuit without causing damage or failure to the transistor.

Why is it important to consider the "Max Collector Current" in transistor circuits?

Considering the "Max Collector Current" is important because exceeding this limit can cause the transistor to overheat and potentially damage other components in the circuit. It is crucial to select a transistor with a max collector current rating that can handle the expected current in the circuit.

How is the "Max Collector Current" determined for a transistor?

The "Max Collector Current" is determined by the design and construction of the transistor. It is typically specified by the manufacturer and can be found in the transistor's datasheet. It is influenced by factors such as the size and material of the transistor, as well as the thermal properties of the surrounding components.

What happens if the "Max Collector Current" is exceeded in a transistor circuit?

If the "Max Collector Current" is exceeded, the transistor can overheat and potentially fail. This can cause the circuit to malfunction or even lead to permanent damage to the transistor or other components. It is important to always stay within the specified limits to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.

How can the "Max Collector Current" be managed in a transistor circuit?

The "Max Collector Current" can be managed by selecting a transistor with a higher rating than the expected current in the circuit. Additionally, proper heat sinking and current limiting techniques can be implemented to prevent the transistor from exceeding its limit. It is also important to carefully design the circuit to ensure the current is distributed evenly among multiple transistors, if applicable.